F1 » Grosjean: I honestly thought I was ahead of Hamilton

Romain Grosjean apologetic, respects verdict of stewards

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Dylan - Unregistered

September 02, 2012 6:39 PM

Not the first nor the second time Bigjohn has had difficulties judging where other drivers are near him. I wonder if this is some lack of visual perception he has and doesn't even know.

arcuid

September 02, 2012 6:49 PM

@The Old Man Perhaps you should look at the replay and the on board footage on Hamilton's car. Grosjean came out of nowhere and hit the McLaren. Where could Lewis have moved over? The wall?

The Old Man - Unregistered

September 02, 2012 6:59 PM

I looked at it 4-5 times in super slow-mo. Wall was not close, but the edge of the track was at least one tire-width away from Hamilton's right front tire.

At that point the Lotus was no longer moving right, or if so very very slowly. Hamilton had room, not a lot, on the right. It appeared to be all he needed to avoid the tire contact.

Look at it again. I watched it with this forum in mind and did not want to be corrected. Sorry, but he had room. I am NOT trying to be contrary, I swear. But that is what replay shows. 2 plus 2 equals four, even if the whole rest of the planet says five. It's what the replay shows. Take a look, frame at a time.

sokudo - Unregistered

September 02, 2012 6:59 PM

I respect his apology and do believe he genuinely believed he was ahead. The problem is to be successful in Formula 1 you need to have great spacial awareness which is something he doesn't seem to have. Maybe it's a case of getting used to the car etc. but he gets involved in too many incidents. Hopefully this is something he improves on because he has heaps of talent.

f1iceman - Unregistered

September 02, 2012 7:00 PM

well
i thought it was harsh ive seen alot worse than that as most cars move alittle at a start they all do a swerve on starts always have done. hamilton never even flinched . i just seen it as an avoidable incident and hamilton could have moved easy to avoid crashing. they all do it and have done it so seems harsh he was well in front it it was a corner hamilton would have to back off and he didnt or even move 3inch out his way as he was in front.
and that is the truth if you look at it that way.the crash was avoidable if hammy made a small movement.
are you not able to make one move and give other car room ?? thats what i seen.

bob - Unregistered

September 02, 2012 7:02 PM

I agree, this was Romain's fault, but correct me if I'm wrong everyone who's having absolute kittens over this, is this not EXACTLY what Hamilton did to Kobayashi last year at this very track???

I guess you were all screaming for Hamilton's head then too were you?

Grow up and get over it. It was a mistake and a racing incident. It wasn't reckless or done with anger, it was simply a misjudgment that had big consequences due to the close proximity of other cars.