F1 » Domenicali: Vettel not a dirty driver

Stefano Domenicali says he doesn't think Sebastian Vettel is a dirty driver despite Monza penalty

Oli - Unregistered

September 11, 2012 4:40 PM

1/2

More ******** from modern F1.

This isn't about individual drivers. Being a Brit I don't have a lot of time for either FA or SV. Terrific drivers as they are, I want a Brit to win!

But this post is about the rules. I don't even know what they are now??

In years gone by, a driver could defend his position. Alonso was behind and on the outside, In the past, Vettel could and would have been able to ease FA out of road, not to cause a crash but to just to cause FA to lift. That wasn't nasty racing, it didn't include chopping his nose in a dangerous way, you just run the other guy to the outside so he has to back off. That was good defending of your position.

So what are the rules now? If the car behind is within half a mile then the car ahead needs to leave him a nice space to pass? It's a load of rubbish.

As I say, I don't like SV, but that was never a penalty. Go on Youtube and watch Arnoux v Villeneuve. Under modern rules they would both end up with lifetime bans for providing

Oli - Unregistered

September 11, 2012 4:41 PM

2/2

one of the best races the sport has ever seen.

And the other thing I can't stand, is drivers coming on the radio and screaming for a penalty the whole time. That's like going down in the six yard box and rolling around holding your shin. F1 is becoming a pretty boy sport like football.

Oli

Mark _

September 11, 2012 5:04 PM

I have a question for those who say that no rule was broken. If Alonso had stayed on track and they collided would he be at fault or would Vettel be at fault or would it just be a racing incident? It seems to me that if two cars are side by side you should not be allowed to drive like no one is next to you.

Sidthekid

September 11, 2012 5:22 PM

I'm really not a Vettel fan but I don't think he did much wrong. I liken it to JB and LH last year in Canada where both drivers were going for the same line. Alonso had a run and was going for a fast diminishing gap. I don't think Vettel deserved to be penalised. Rosberg has made similar defensive moves this season and has not been punished. Maybe it depends on who you do it to and at which track you are racing at?

Oli - Unregistered

September 11, 2012 5:27 PM

@Mark

Alonso was not alongside SV, his front wheel was just ahead of SV's rear wheel, hence I think SV should have been able to pick his own line. Alonso throughout that move had the option to back out the throttle and not take to the grass.

However, I accept my view is based on racing of old. I don't know what these girly new rules are that require anyone you wave at to get out of your way, so maybe SV did break "the rules" as they are now.

107SS2009

September 11, 2012 5:40 PM

A lot of people are just filling space on this forum with inaccuracies.
Last year at Monza Alonso played fair with Vettel, he left him more than a car's wide of track , so although the rules wasn't as they are now, no penalty for Alonso (see Auto sports comments this past Sunday/Monday).
This year in Bahrain (at a corner) there was no part of the car of Lulu and Alonso along the side of Rosberg's Mercedes, no penalty for Rosberg.
This year (last Sunday at Monza) a good part of Alonso's FERRARI was alongside the RB of Vettel, a penalty for Vettel.
As clarified at the British GP, For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of a car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheels of the car in front this will be deemed to be a “significant portion” and the drive defending his position must leave a car's wide “space” on track, Contrary to some people's perception this clarification applies to all around the track not just corners or straights.

cknopp - Unregistered

September 11, 2012 6:05 PM

had it stayed on track and an accident occured, it would have been Alonzos fault.

It is always the overtakers responsibility to not hit the car he is passing. Always.

jose - Unregistered

September 11, 2012 6:16 PM

words of wisdom from 2009, Sunny Blue..Sound creditable
I guess I accept that, don't have to, it sound reasonable enough
to be true..I wonder why I'm so surprised?

Jose