F1 » Kaltenborn: Sauber targeting Mercedes

Sauber CEO Monisha Kaltenborn says the target for the Swiss team now is to beat Mercedes

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Harold

September 12, 2012 1:09 PM

These guys have been the feel good story of the year for me.

When the car was first launched, I thought it looked terrible. Perhaps it was just the paint job that had me feeling that way at the time.

But after such a solid year, the paint job is almost forgotten, it is a great car. Well done Sauber and Monisha, first female CEO in F1. Good luck with the target catching Mercedes. I'll support a race team over a large corporation any day of the week!

nealio

September 12, 2012 3:07 PM

You can't help but admire Sauber and what they have done this year. They're the little team that could. With all the talk about resource restrictions Sauber shows that a huge budget isn't necessary to push forward development. More power to them!

LJ - Unregistered

September 12, 2012 3:19 PM

Mercedes are going to start struggling for points in the remaining races, so I think Sauber overhauling them is totally possible. In many ways I think Sauber have had an unlucky season, because there has been many DNF's and things outside of their control that have prevented them from scoring more points. They probably should be ahead of Mercedes right now.

We will see how the rest of the season goes tho. I may be dreaming, but I would love to see KK win in Japan.

Amigo - Unregistered

September 12, 2012 4:13 PM

Hi Mate, KK will not win in Japan or anywhere as long as Perez stays in Sauber.
I don't say he can't win Formula One race.
Peoples don't understand how inside F1 team is working. Sauber CEO Monisha Kaltenborn has had confess in her past interview about outsider view and insider view on performance of Perez and Kamui.
You have to ask question yourself and get answer yourself.
Why Perez car is faster than Ferrari? Why Kamui car was very slow and every car was able to passing him?
It's not coincident mate. He will have always problems on race day if he has had good qualifying section on Saturday.
Budget on Perez car is more than Kamui car. Possibly Sponsor Mexican Billionaire Carlos Slim has putting his own money on Perez car. Sauber team can't upset it sponsor. Without Telmex Sponsor, Sauber will be struggling and fighting with back maker.
So I don't think KK will get good car after all.
It's no one fault but money makes everything smooth.

Liam48 - Unregistered

September 12, 2012 4:25 PM

I feel sorry for Kobayashi. He does the business in qualifying at usually beats Perez in the race but when the strategy works out it's Perez that gets the podiums.

Kobayashi deserves his chance for the strategy to work him next.

LJ - Unregistered

September 12, 2012 5:42 PM

Sorry Amigo, but I don't agree with the conspiracy theory that Perez is getting preferential treatment because he brings in more sponsorship money.

There are reasons why Perez has outperformed Kamui in certain races. I think his style lends itself to certain tracks. Montreal & Monza have similar characteristics and in both cases Perez used a counter-strategy to the rest of the field, Hard long stint, then softer option. This proved the fastest option at that race.

Other tracks however, Kamui has been much stronger at that suited his style, however he hasn't been able to show this much during the race because of bad luck.

Maybe KK doesn't have a fast enough car to win the Japanese GP. However, the layout & likely track temperature will suit the Saubers. And KK usually outperforms on that track. Think all those great overtakes in 2010 and then last year he qualified in top 10 when he really shouldn't have, the car was awful.

mrfill

September 12, 2012 6:33 PM

Since Peter Sauber rescued the team from the corporate goons and appointed Monisha K as CEO, they have been the model F1 team.
They have developed an excellent car, have two very good young drivers and the most professional CEO in the paddock.
Good luck to them in their pursuit of Mercedes. It is so refreshing to see a team dedicated to the business of racing rather than wallowing in PR puff and corporate bull.
An inspiration.

JJ - Unregistered

September 12, 2012 8:06 PM

Sauber will always have a soft spot in my heart. To me they are the team that embodies what F1 should be. They are on a tight budget, yet they are able to fight with the big names on occasion for podiums and are always lurking in the points. They know where to spend $ and how to get the max output for that $. I swear Sauber has make 1$ into 2$. I would not be surprised if they have the best $ spent to points ratio of any team in the paddock by a country mile. I think a win for Sauber this year would be the best story of the year.

1 2  »