F1 » Jake Humphrey to leave BBC F1

Jake Humphrey to leave the BBC for BT

Former F1 fan - Unregistered

September 19, 2012 11:17 AM

Big shame all around. The last few years on BBC were good with great coverage and a presenting team who looked like they were having fun and had links to many in the sport. Will never ever pay for that SKY con so I guess the BBC wind up is under way. Used to go every year to British GP but no more as the fragmented coverage has made it loose that live appeal. I blame the angry grey dwarf for screwing so much money out of "his sport" that only the likes of bent multinationals can afford his extortinate broadcast fees.

A Jake and F1 fan - Unregistered

September 19, 2012 12:25 PM

I honestly didnt think that Murray could be replaced in terms of quality of presenting and knowledge but I do feel that Jake has become a fantastic replacement. I really sad to see him leaving, a real loss to F1.

As regards the football. Someone described his new job as commenting on 22 people kicking a ball around a field. Its worse than that, its 22 blokes who are over paid, cheat at every opportunity, where there is no sportmanship and again as said already commented on with utter drivel by has beens. Football is a crap because its all about the money, not the sport.

22 nancies kicking a ball around a field that are paid millions that miss the goal because it was on their bad foot! Bad foot? They are paid millions so they should be expert with both feet.

Football is an absolute discrace and joke!!!!!!!!!!

Jake, why are you going to this pitiful replacement to F1? Any sport would have been better than football!

You have been great for BBC covering F1, I thank you :-)

piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

September 19, 2012 1:01 PM

Just to reinforce a point I made about the why's and wherefores of Sky viewing, I just emailed 72 people I work with and got the following.

q1 do you have a subscription sky package.
a1 Yes 31 no 41 (surprisingly high number of yesses)

q2 for the yesses, why do you have a package
a2 sport 12 (of which 11 just said 'football') kids 12 movies 6 poor ariel feed 1

q3 for the nos, why do you not have a package
a3 don't see the need 27 cant justify the expense 11 dont have a tv 2 watch turksat 1

Not an awful lot of Murdoch hating there, we must be an unusual demographic

BoufieWolf

September 19, 2012 2:08 PM

@piercarl

That's ok for Those that earn a decent wage. What of those who are unemployed or on low incomes who just can't afford the cost. Then there are people like Taz whom you jumped on without reading his whole conversation, who can't receive the service because of where they live? I come under the low income bracket and do feel hard done by the BBC/Sky stitch up and now it'll all be on sky very soon. No matter what Jake says, it's all about money.

Hotustotus - Unregistered

September 19, 2012 4:40 PM

I wonder if he'll become another Clarkson.
Make his name, get a fortune & learn his trade at the Beeb thanks to the taxpayer/licence fee payer and then go off & spend the rest of his life bad-mouthing the public sector & the supposedly left-wing BBC?

Ben - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 12:13 AM

This is a shame. Jake is great at presenting F1. I feel the BBC live coverage has been good this year. Gary Anderson has been fantastic but his technical knowledge underused. I love Ben Edwards, always have and now that his partnership with DC has bedded in they have been great, so much better than Croft and Brundle. Maybe the BBC can use thks as a fresh start, a little less banter and a bit more knowledge and professionalism would be lovely. Maybe they should bring a Rosenthal, RIder or Inverdale type. As for Jake, he does a great job presenting the beeb's coverage of Championship football. Good luck to him and BT, hopefully BT can knock Sky off of their sports perch.

piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

September 20, 2012 10:00 AM

Beowulf, yes it must be hard for F1 fans who can't afford the subs and I thank God and my non-addiction to other things that I can.

BUT it still doesn't alter the fact that taking an illegal feed is theft, justifying it on an ethics basis is no defence, and calling people who choose to stay within the law 'scum' is twisted logic.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7  »