F1 » Petrov halts talks on F1 future

Vitaly Petrov's manager says talks over his F1 future have been halted

rjbetty - Unregistered

September 25, 2012 8:29 PM

It would be a real shame to see him go I think. He's impressed me by what he has done with very little experience. I hear he had no karting and only started racing in the 2000s. He is actually quite close to qualifying specialist Kovalainen and outperformed Heidfeld and Bruno Senna last year.

He has a podium too remember and the way he defended from Alonso at Abu Dhabi in 2010 shows to me he can do everything Maldonado did.

I 100% believe Vitaly is race-winning material in the right car.

Josh - Unregistered

September 26, 2012 3:38 AM

@1Jez - I can assure you, every driver brings a nice wad of cash to their team, yes, even Alonso. I've worked within the motorsport industry and I saw some very talented drivers having to go back to office jobs because without money they are nothing. To paraphrase what a GP2 driver stated last weekend: now days having talent alone isn't good enough, you've got to have the financial backing as well.

He's right, that's how this sport functions, and has done for quite a while now. Some fans just like to view F1 through their rose-tinted glasses.

1Jez

September 26, 2012 5:06 AM

@Josh - I'm not suggesting that a driver doesn't need backing to break into F1, nor am I suggesting that most drivers don't bring money in. I am disagreeing with your ascertion that there is no driver on the grid that would remain if their backing were to cease.

Do you honestly believe that if Alonso lost his personal sponsorship that Ferrari would drop him? He is far and away the best driver currently in Formula 1 and Ferrari don't need the money like Williams do, for example.

Follow your logic through - if money talked in absolute terms, Maldonado would be driving for RBR, Macca or Ferrari. There's no way Webber can match Maldonado's sponsorship, so why does Webber have the better drive? Because he is the better driver.

Josh - Unregistered

September 26, 2012 6:23 AM

@1Jez- Alonso's 10 million dollar sponsorship backing played a pivotal role in his signing with Ferrari, and the teams axing and payout of Raikkonen. No one can argue with this. Alonso has the talent to be a Ferrari driver, but he also has sponsors which bring to the team almost 50% of his starting salary. Think about that.

Regarding the Maldonado/Webber comparison, you're now heading into a different tangent all together. Money does not speak in 'absolute terms' as you would put it. As I've stated numerous times a driver needs both talent and financial backing. Some drivers get into F1 with slightly more money than skill. Some drivers stay in F1 with more skill than money. My point is that all drivers are bringing funds to their respective teams, it's a key component of a drivers package and 99% of the time, a major consideration when inking deals.

Would everyone on the grid be going home if they had no money? Yes, they would. Teams cant raise an entire years budget on their own.

KingAfrica - Unregistered

September 26, 2012 9:02 AM

Him f1 If you have a Team insted of one Manufactor Team if you have to pay for engines insted of free supplay if you dont have big name inside F1 and you have to deal with the smalles t sponsors, there is only one way of mantain the Team.. And is with Drivers that pay to ride!! I think is not sad for the riders but you can bet is really sad for Team Manager that sometimes have to accept one ******* rider just to have more money to that sesson.. And he will never know how its gona be because the rider that have money to waste sometimes is so bad that is allways crashing and just wasting even more money that he brings.. Hard life him F1 small Teams

jose - Unregistered

September 26, 2012 2:44 PM

josh..
"Without his Santander backing even Alonso wouldn't be in F1".

Amused I was..
Then you other posts starting me laughing.

Still laughing, still laughing, Now my side is starting to hurt...
Thanks, Amigo!