F1 » Whiting impressed with Circuit of the Americas

Charlie Whiting declares himself pleased with progress made at the Circuit of the Americas

Chris1976

September 27, 2012 3:28 AM

@Jose
Thanks for the reply. I am actually from Sweden and my English knowledge mostly come from chatting with US Americans on-line, although I am trying to improve my British English as I think it is more proper, at least in writing.

I think the biggest issue I have with your posts is that you seem to leave out words making the reader(me) have to guess to fill in the gaps. That and the lack of proper punctuation makes it very hard to understand at times. You do use some slang that is unfamiliar to me but those things are usually fairly easy to figure out.

And thanks for taking it the right way, not being offended. Even if I think we mostly are of very opposite views regarding F1, primarily the drivers, I DO wish to be able to understand and communicate with you too.

Cheers and sorry for going off topic.

Angelina - Unregistered

September 27, 2012 5:12 AM

People don't criticize America for naming the track as America. Only USA is America. We are a country of 50 North American states. North America and South America are continents. America is a country. Get over it.

Chris1976

September 27, 2012 5:25 AM

@Angelina
The Americas (or America) are lands in the Western Hemisphere that are also known as the New World. Comprising the continents of South America and North America, linked by the isthmus of Panama, along with their associated islands, they cover 8.3 of the Earth's total surface area.

Source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Maybe you should look up facts before you try to lecture someone?

richard

September 27, 2012 7:59 AM

angie. i think that you are a little confused. the track is not called "circuit of america", it is "circuit of the americas". but i reckon the race will will be called austin gp or texan gp by most, unless a major sponsor steps in and renames it

Lofty - Unregistered

September 27, 2012 9:08 AM

FYI and strictly in the interest of correctness. The state of Hawaii, although an integral member of the USA is not in 'The Americas'.... Perhaps the track should be called 'The Circuit of the Americas and Hawaii'-- I'm also starting a petition to rename 'Oulton Park' 'The circuit of the Euros' even though Britain does not have the Euro as its' currency.

Chris1976

September 27, 2012 9:57 AM

oh come on now. BOTH 'The Americas' and 'America' refers to ALL the countries in both continents of north and south America. I even left a link to a Wikipedia article in my previous post that explains it all in detail.

That is the entire issue, that they name the track with the collective name of all those countries, even if the track doesn't represent them.

I know that many people are talking about the country 'United States of America' when they say or write 'America' and I am fine with that. Even so, it is NOT correct.

When you name a track, you should do it correct, and I am sure that they are fully aware of what 'The Americas' actually means, and it is very arrogant. If they after all actually don't know what Americas mean, and they are not being arrogant, then they should be corrected as it is an official track.

jose - Unregistered

September 27, 2012 11:21 AM

mark, Chris..
IQ here is only 85 or so, or maybe somethings are intentional.

Macbeth.."What ever you say leaves me dumfounded. I try to
understand your methods, really I do. With you I think
understanding is not the message at all".

Beunos dias, Comprende

Jose

Ptolomy - Unregistered

September 27, 2012 11:37 AM

Why is "Circuit of the Americas" making people mad? I guess they could have named it "Circuit of Texas" or "The Lone Star Circuit" or "Circuit of the USA."
But they wanted to include ALL of the people of the AmericaS! And then the "other" Americans get all bent out of shape. I guess they could have called it "Circuit of Latin America, in Texas."

jose - Unregistered

September 27, 2012 11:43 AM

Call the place what ever you like..( Not Johnson)..Just post
a time and Date. Reserved a 40ft RV motor Home. Me and
my five Hamilton Fans + Jackson will be motoring south.
Builded in the U.S.A in Texas by Texans..Methinks this will be the
best dam racing circuit on the planet..

(not Johnson) well you have to be from Flatbush to understand
that one.