F1 » Button handed grid penalty

Jenson Button handed a five place grid penalty for a gearbox change ahead of Suzuka

Mark _

October 02, 2012 8:14 PM

@salan - If all that you care about is the WDC that is fine but even with that argument Button could still be a spoiler for someone else. Just because a driver is out of contention for the WDC does not mean that their results don't count.

Salan - Unregistered

October 02, 2012 8:52 PM

Richard, I regret you took such offence to my initial post, even though you say I did not hit a nerve I shall withdraw my commentary. By the way this by all means doesn't detract the fact that we are all able and willing to discuss any issues relating to F1 as a whole on this forum. So please don't think for a moment this is what I meant. Anyway I really hope all the best for Jensen in Japan.
@mark, mate I didn't realise the intention of Jensen in your view is to spoil it for someone else if he couldn't win it himself. I presume you are referring to Lewis. What in heavens would be the object of that but to alienate yourself from your piers and the F1 paddock as a whole. How evil would that look. Come on mate give him more credit than that.

Mark _

October 02, 2012 9:19 PM

@Salan - here is the slang definition from Urban Dictionary. It is for politics but can also be used for sports. "A candidate in a campaign whose chances of winning are near zero but still may garner enough votes as to cause the loss of one of the leading candidates.
Ralph Nader was a spoiler in the 2000 elections, he took votes from Al Gore.

This had nothing to do with any particular driver so get that out of your head. If Button were to win it could also help Lewis to catch Alonso. I get the impression that you don't want anyone who cannot win the WDC to try to win one of the final races. Well that is not racing my friend. Everyone should get an equal chance at winning even if they cannot win the title.

richard

October 02, 2012 9:42 PM

mark. naahhh, i dont think that this is yet another alias for rgb. not as fanatical!

by the way, i think that you are from usa, so you may not know that there was a car over here, called a JENSEN. they made a large gt car with a big block chrysler (i think) engine. they also made a smaller sports car called a jensen healey, using a pretty dud lotus engine.

Salan - Unregistered

October 02, 2012 9:43 PM

I beg to defer Mark, you must have had reference to a driver to spoil it for otherwise what would be the point of that rationale. Nonetheless as you rightly point out his results do matter and I retract my earlier comments. I have obviously touched on a sensitive subject here on Crash.net Its like you guys have sensed a foreign entity and its time to gather all the troops and repel whatever has come into your domain. Cheers mate I'm just kidding it was really nice having that exchange with you and Richard. Regards Salan

Salan - Unregistered

October 02, 2012 9:55 PM

I must say Richard you are rather closer to my background. I'm not American but I have lived in the U.S for a number of years including my formative academic years at University. If truth be told I'm Australian. Anyway time to sign off its been real thank you both for your exchange.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »