F1 » Schumacher retires for second time

Michael Schumacher elects to retire from F1 for a second time after losing Mercedes drive

Liam48

October 04, 2012 12:18 PM

Damn! This is such a shame he should have gone out on more of a high than he has done this year.

I never liked him at Ferrari but since his return I've wanted to see him achieve some success. I think his Monaco pole lap shows that given a competitive car that he's still just as good as the best out there.

I hope Mercedes can give him a car to challenge and hopefully win a race before the end of the season because he deserves a shot.

richard

October 04, 2012 12:19 PM

a.s. (presumably ayrton senna?). you are bitter arent you?

despite wht you say schumi is a legend, and probably a cleaner driver than your idol. (who actually feared schumi).

i admired schumi, and defended him against people (such as on this forum) who claim that he deliberately crashed into hill. he didnt, and hill agrees!

however, i always felt that his return would be fated, and sadly this has proven to be the case. flashes of his old form but no consistency.

he did the dirty on ferrari when they offered him a comeback,but i reckon his original ties to merc, persuaded him to honour their original support.

he has done his reputaton no good by his merc stint. a shame really

happy retirement schumi

MemoryLoss

October 04, 2012 12:30 PM

Even though his return has partially soiled his legacy, I still think it has done more good than bad. Sure his Races:Wins ratio has been lowered, as has his Seasons:Championships ratio, but as a character and personality his return has done him no end of favours, at least in my view. He has been less of a race winning machine programmed to do nothing but compete, and more of a person that just seems to enjoy racing. During his domination of F1 I respected him only as a racer, I now respect him as a person as well. He just seems to have had a more likeable and laid back personality the second time round.

Ignitor - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 12:41 PM

He should not retire now at least he should stay for another year . I just cant get over the news of his second retirement. All he needs is a better machinery, what Mercedes gave him was not at all adequate by all means. Actually I hoped to see him in a competitive car fighting for wins and championships. In 2006 he nearly won the championship but was unlucky. Ferrari should contact him for 2013 even for one year it would be fine.

fish fingers - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 12:53 PM

I thought he as going to Ferrari, me feeling is there is more to the story, but I have to say that reading his eloquent reasons and his views on life make me respect him 10x more now.

garth - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 1:16 PM

Just one year 2012 we can see six f1 wdc fight together and really that 's very spectaculer and touchful. F1 drama really need this situation to attract more fans.

LJ - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 1:24 PM

Personally, I'm glad he's re-retired. I didn't miss him when he retired the first time, for me I have always thought it was selfish to take away a seat from upcoming talent.

But I will admit he has bowed out gracefully and it probably made him more humble knowing how good he had it at in his first career and what it was like to be on the receiving end of dominance from the likes of the other world champions and even his own team mate.

Piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

October 04, 2012 1:32 PM

Following on from LJ's comment, I think MS was genuinely surprised by the improvement in standard of the F1 grid compared to when he was so dominant. He'd have got nowhere near 7 championships in today's field

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »