F1 » F1 POLL: Was Schumacher's return a success or failure?

Vote in our latest F1 poll and have your say now on if you think Michael Schumacher's second coming was worthwhile or just a waste of time. To submit your vote, simply CLICK HERE

sodesu - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 5:14 PM

I think he's done respectably actually. His first year was definitely a failure, but since he's improved a lot and this year he's usually had the upper hand on Nico. If not for all the technical retirements I'm pretty sure he'd have more points to his name too. He hasn't managed a win - yet - but to have gotten back onto the podium must have meant the world to him.

Realistically, the odds were against him but he hung in there, never gave up, kept on working, kept on fighting and this season he's finally been there, matching and often beating his highly-rated teammate and taking the fight to the youngsters in spite of the Merc most definitely being a midfield car.

I have nothing but respect for that. It would be great if somehow he managed to get that comeback win in one of these last few races.

shaken - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 5:15 PM

Probably the biggest failure in the history of F1.

He wasnt allowed either to do what he did so well before, fixed races, taking other drivers out (deliberately) etc. That much said, to be fair to him, he just didnt have the ability (when he did win fairly before) this time.

Keep Her Lit - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 5:17 PM

3 Years ( almost ) No wins , NO second places, One paltry , lucky third place, Countless attempts at mating with the car in front ( doggy position) .Draw your own conclusions

soaum - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 5:22 PM

I think the real success has been changing peoples opinions. I think he has more respect now than he did winning in the best car all the time. I am not really a schuey fan but have found myself cheering him on from time to time, something I thought I would never do.

AUB - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 5:26 PM

Not sure whether this subject poll is meaningfull:

Schumacher has said this himself, as it can be viewed from a couple of angles:
- Professionally (ie developing the team): Yes
- Personally (ie achieving the ability to be fighting for podiums): No

Has he done F1 any good by returning: I believe Yes, at least it spiked more interest (thats maybe a better poll to have)

I would love to see him in the footsteps of Bernie, but not sure whether he has the desire to do that.

stu - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 5:30 PM

I for one have loved Schumacher back in F1. He's given me someone to laugh at when he breaks down or crashes. Loved it.

Dunno who's going to fill that gap. Vettel maybe? He's German, but not a cheat like Schumy.

sennaforever

October 05, 2012 6:02 PM

@ sodesu,
Rosberg 93 points to date
Schumacher 43 points to date
can you tell me when he got the upper hand ?

@ Aub,
how has he developed the team ? I would have thought Ross Brawn brought more to the table in that respect

Saf - Unregistered

October 05, 2012 6:04 PM

I think it's a failure but mainly because of the dam car. we can understand Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren being quicker but Williams, Lotus and even Saubers. I think Mercedes oversold the project to him. This season he has shown form but let down by the car but he was still not the same Schumacher of old.

You will always get idiots disrespecting but hey who takes idiots seriously, anyway the damage to the reputation will be very temporary especially once some of the current drivers realise how difficult it is driving in your late thirties never mind forties and in time people will even respect him for the fact that he was competing at this age.

Lewis needs to watch out has he been oversold the Mercedes dream like Schumacher was I mean this is a team that's going nowhere they start the season at the certain point where only the big three are ahead of them and finish as a 5th or 6th best team.

sennaforever

October 05, 2012 6:14 PM

Saf, do you really believe that he was oversold by Mercedes or he just thought he was stepping into a championship winning car courtesy of Jensen Button the previous year, frankly I'm of the opinion he came back thinking he could stroke his way to another championship or two or maybe even three. Does that make me an idiot ?!!! I give him respect for having a go but I think he'd have more respect if he'd slid into a midfield team and helped them to develop a car, actually what he could have opted to do for Sauber next year to be honest

1 2 3 4  »