F1 » Webber slams 'first-lap nutcase'

Mark Webber has launched into a blistering attack on Romain Grosjean, calling him a "first-lap nutscase" and saying that the Lotus driver's performance is "embarrassing at this level."

jose - Unregistered

October 07, 2012 8:58 PM

Hello Taipan,
you know I don't do spelling or programmer. not my strong points
really I don't care. You got the message that is all that count.

The cars 20 years ago were fast, I agree, very fast. Man what we have
now is almost a 'Rocket' with wheels.

Yesterday we had the same Bang, Bang, Boom, Boom starts. Some were
hurt big time, never to start another race. Having a good safe start now is the exception, not the norm! Keep rolling the dice, and for no good reason, something bad will happen.. And for no good reason!!

Adios, Jose

devilsadvocate - Unregistered

October 07, 2012 8:59 PM

Have to admit, I was really shocked he didnt get a black flag today and I was only watching live timing with text commentary. Finally got to see a a shot from youtube and am even more shocked. Had Webber and that Sauber not been there he would have shot clear off the track... excuse me but what the F**K was he doing carrying that much speed into the corner, what exactly did he think was going to happen, did he get cpnfused and hit his gas and think it was the brake? No excuses and Im getting really tired of the plucky grinning frenchman... License meet scissors, now get lost!

Noel - Unregistered

October 07, 2012 9:05 PM

Sadly I believe this is turning into a Romain Grosjean witch hunt. Yes he has made mistakes and yes he needs to learn from these clashes. But in this case Mark Webber was slow into and out of the first corner, Grosjean was travelling no quicker than Perez beside him but had a slow Webber in front of him that he could not avoid, and all should have been on full throttle. It was 50% Webber's fault as he had already dropped back from the first two because he was slow. Grosjean is a very good driver and I hope he stars in the last five races to prove everybody he has moved on from these clashes.

jose - Unregistered

October 07, 2012 9:17 PM

OnTheOtherHand,

I see we agree again, and Taipan ..I think the newer drivers don't
think about safety and staying safe. Watching some I
really think they don't think!..

Old Jose

Taipan

October 07, 2012 9:19 PM

Jose, "the rockets on wheels now" are slower than they used to be trust me.

Keke Rosberg averaged 259km/h qualifying at Silverstone in 1985, This year Hamilton's pole lap at Monza (a faster track) was 248km/h.

jose - Unregistered

October 07, 2012 9:41 PM

Taipan,

Ok we can argue about what cars were faster, and I think you are correct
The problem they had then is the same now. The starts need not be this
dangerous. I believe a change is needed, for safety reasons.
I have raced using both systems. Rolling starts were safe, fairer and
faster. I guess I'm auguring about something with no standing.
About the speed thing, Taipan about that, I withdraw..
F1 is still stuck on tradition, Cool!..But safety must come first..Hell
give it a try and see what happens..

Easily confused

Jose

Taipan

October 07, 2012 10:04 PM

Jose, I think "otherhands" point is the real cause of the problem. Very safe cars + very safe tracks make some drivers take risks that 20+ years ago would probably have left them in a wheelchair or worse.

Personally I think the current saftey history is largely down to good fortune not just advancements in technology, Alonso could easily have lost his head at Spa for example.

As a result driving standards have to improve or else we will see more fatalities in F1, it's almost inevitable. Us old dogs have seen it before, don't want to see it again. But I don't think rolling starts are the answer.

bjr - Unregistered

October 07, 2012 11:10 PM

Rolling starts?

These are the best drivers in the world driving cars with the best brakes and handling. The ONLY reason they hit each other in turn 1 is because the drivers take risks that sometimes pay off and sometimes don't. Nice guy's into turn 1 would drop a spot or two every race and the not-so-nice guys would pick up a spot or two, easy to see which attitude gets the reward. Turn 1 is a highstakes game of chance, no risk no reward.

Maybe someone should suggest a rally type start with 10sec spacing.....not