F1 » NBC confirms acquisition of US F1 rights

NBC has, as expected, emerged as the new broadcaster of F1 races in the USA, following Speed's admission that it had been out-bid for the rights.

Buck - Unregistered

October 17, 2012 3:58 PM

Pretty sad no one will see the Austin race! All you have to do is subscribe to NBC Sports Channel.

Can't subscribe to NBC Sports unless you are a yank. So I guess that leaves Canada and Mexico reading about it in the news the next day.

Not sure how many Americans care enough about F1 to subscribe either. Sad state of affairs....

walrus909

October 17, 2012 4:18 PM

Another reason to hate Fox. To cheap to keep the series. Will miss Steve, David, Bob and Will. They were intertaining enough to make even a procession worth watching. NBC's stick and ball outfit will probably ruin the whole shebang.

Doobie Wah Kenobi - Unregistered

October 17, 2012 6:31 PM

@Walrus - You got that right! NBC Sports covered (barely) the AMA Outdoor Motocross Championship in 2012 and made a complete mess of it. I missed the first two races because I couldn't find them (neither could they!) and they only showed the second moto on their pay channel. You had to pay and log on a website to see the first moto. NBC will do their usual bang up job with anything not centered around a ball. Hey, maybe F1 could incorporate a ball of some sort for the drivers to cahse around the track. Then NBC would cover it properly!

Elmer Enriquez - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 1:25 AM

Oh Bernie, Bernie! You just killed F1 in US...just when Speed got the best automotive commentators in TV and the most credibility. And it "just took" Speed 17 years of relentless efforts to bring the interest of the american viewer to what it is now! NBC, you better have a real good plan to keep me interested on your coverage 'cause thanks to internet and broadband, I can switch to BBC, ITV, RTV or even chinese TV any moment now...oh, and before I forget, hire Bob, David and Steve NOW!

jose - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 3:15 AM

NBC has exclusive rights..The first race I will attend. Going
to cost me a small fortune. But as they say, its only money.
NBC covers many NASCAR races. I really don't care for the
announcers and talking heads much, I just try and ignore them.
and concentrate on the race..Plus all the commercials, dam
I'm starting to get depressed..

Badman, Jose

Doobie Wah Kenobi - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 10:56 AM

Jose - I hear ya loud and clear. I can already see NBC using split screen to show me who's on first while something good is happening in the race. (like an outside pass at Eau Rouge!) I don't do "ball sports" and I don't do NASCAR. Racing for me is F1 and Motocross/Supercross. I ask so little and Speed gave me so much.

Yep, I'm getting depressed too.

chrian - Unregistered

October 19, 2012 12:07 AM

NBC Sport will not be good for F1 in the US.

Look, even within the Speed network, it took a few passionate people to get Speed to do it right. Fox was not ever very enthusiastic, but some of the Speed people were, and they had to impose their will over the years.

NBC will have absolutely no one to be a voice for proper F1 coverage. They cater to the lowest common denominator, they will not likely do anything like showing practice, or even qualifying. Tape delayed races, shown only at 3AM on Tuesdays.

Don't even think about having a show like "F1 Debrief"...that will NEVER happen.

I expect the announcers will be utter trash. I have already lived through the "bad old days" for F1 coverage in the US. Not really going to be interested in F1 if that is where things go again. And, no, not going to sit there and try to watch F1 on my computer from other feeds at 5AM.

1 2  »