F1 » Coulthard confirms DTM exit, retirement

David Coulthard: This weekend will be my final opportunity to compete at this level as I will stop racing in the DTM to concentrate on my developing off-track businesses and of course my family

indianapolis2007

October 18, 2012 3:25 PM

richard, truly sorry if i have caused any offence with my comments in my last post, its just that while writing this credible and factual article i thought hang on im being a bit hard on DC in asking him to beat up Damon Hill in his debut season and when i tried to look for any driver to compare with DC attempting to do greatness in his first season i could only come up with you know who. But i deliberately did not mention this champion killing rookie because i did not want this type of reaction from other posters, it seems it did not work.

anonymous - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 3:38 PM

From memory alone, I could list a dozen drivers who could have achieved the same as Coulthard did in those cars, but were never given the chance. He never looked like a champion class driver, never looked like he would achieve more than his teammate could.

An also-ran who got some lucky breaks, thats all.

barry - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 4:22 PM

What people see in him is something else. For a driver who never set tracks alight, never won a F1 title, why he should be an "Ambassador" is beyond me.

Dylan - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 4:26 PM

@Taz I've got a fairly good sim racing career :) with over 5000 iRating in iRacing. No bitterness here I've nothing against DC just stating facts. I think Irvine was a much better driver than DC but never received half the praise DC has received while not achieving half what Irvine achieved!

BTW Taz you should try sim racing much more fun than watching races :)

goodluck - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 4:45 PM

DC has been a great commentator, has great analysis skills and quick thinking. His on the spot deductions of what happens on the track are very good and sometimes I wonder if I'm watching a five second delayed race just so DC can have time to analyze a crash.

I wish BBC covered more races because Sky is missing on spot commentating accuracy. I like Brundle, but David's awareness of what is going on, on track is second to none.

I wonder if perhaps he was a bit too much of a thinking man during his career and less an attacking driver.

He's modern day F1 contemporary is, of course, Mark Webber. While DC was never the 'people's driver' him and Webber's achievements are similar.

I wish him the best of luck. I'm always a bit confused when F1 drivers move to another sport and seem to lack the skill to compete at high levels. This makes me wonder if F1 is a bit too specialized these days.

Matafuko - Unregistered

October 18, 2012 4:49 PM

Dylan has had the best keyboard on the Internet first with Toshiba and later with Dell and achieved nothing of significance. The dude simply was at the right place at the right time in his writing career. Not sure why CRASH even bothered having him. Overrated writer and long overdue mickey take!

« 1 2 3 4 5  »