F1 » Pirelli ready as Circuit of the Americas gets thumbs up from drivers

Mario Andretti and Jerome d'Ambrosio completed the first flying laps of the new Circuit of the Americas layout in Texas, one month before the USGP returns to the F1 schedule.

carbontek - Unregistered

October 23, 2012 10:40 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think that Mario Andretti is the only driver to win both F1 and Indy Cart series !!!!!!! Surely Nigel Mansell can also claim that feat ????????????

john - Unregistered

October 23, 2012 2:56 PM

NOT ONLY DID MANSELL WIN BOTH CHAMPIONSHIPS, HE IS STILL THE ONLY DRIVER TO HAVE HELD BOTH TITLES AT THE SAME TIME. WHEN HE WON INDY, IN 93. HE WAS STILL THE REIGNING 92 F1 CHAMP. AS THE 93 CHAMPIONSHIP HAD NOT BEEN DECIDED.

carman - Unregistered

October 23, 2012 7:51 PM

Dont know what makes Andretti a 'Legend'. Nigel Mansell could've won races against him during his time at IndyCar/Cart (Newman/Haas) with one hand tied behind his back. This is not forgetting Mansell won the IndyCar/Cart title on his first attempt. I dont think Mansell would have much to say about this track either...but then again I maybe wrong...

Jim Clausen

October 23, 2012 8:30 PM

A couple of weeks ago I contacted COTA, asking for ticket prices and motor home parking fees. What they sent back was shocking, to say the least. $3,900 for a 4 day ticket for one person. This includes a mandatory room at the Austin hotel. $15,000, yes, that's fifteen thousand, for an annual motorhome pass, mandatory two year agreement. That's 30 grand to park your frickin' motorhome. This gets you access to two F1 events. If you don't purchase tickets for the other events scheduled, COTA reserves the right to sell you parking space for those events. Needles to say, I won't be attending. And my respect for Mario is no longer what it used to be.

I know there is a non-COTA website that is selling tickets for considerably less, but these COTA guys have some gall, I would say.

johno - Unregistered

October 23, 2012 10:17 PM

@carman

What makes andretti a legend? I hope your just trolling for comments and cant be serious. To this day he is the only driver to win the indy 500, daytona 500 and F1 world championship. He also won many sportscar races (sebring and 24 hrs of daytona to name two) and the pikes peak hillclimb. Mediocre accomplishments by your standards.