F1 » Kobayashi: I deserve F1 seat

Kamui Kobayashi has a 'feeling' everything will work out okay and he will get a drive for F1 2013

JJJ - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 1:59 AM

I'm still drinking the Koba and Perez kool-aid, simply because as a dutch racing fan I witnessed the following sequence of events: 1) van der Garde wins WSBR 2) vdG wins races in his 1st year in GP2 and thrashes his teammate 3) vd Garde gets pummeled by Perez in GP2 as his teammate and Perez often destroys the field in speed 4) Koba outscores Perez in their 1st year as teammates and outqualifies him so far in their 2nd year with a similar amout of points for both were the deficit can be chalked up to luck of the draw.

I'll stop drinking the kool-aid if Perez can't hang with Button next year but I expect he will do that quite easily.

Until then: go Koba!

David Chaste - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 2:50 AM

I think this is the difference that mentoring does. Kabayashi was pretty much left on his own after Toyota left F1. His only saving grace was that they let him race the last 2 races and that opened everyone's eyes to him.

To evolve to that deeper level beyond natural talent, I think everyone needs a solid mentor. But he's on his own.

Perez on the other hand is been carefully brought along, his mentor and agent is Adrian Fernandez, aside from F1 he has raced everywhere and ran teams at pretty much all levels. He is supremely well funded as well. He probably has a team of PR personel and marketers at his disposal. His life outside of F1 is more stable, which translates into results during the races.

BMW used to have Nigel Manssell on the payroll tuteling Sebastian Vettel and Robert Kubica.

Mercedes probably signed Niki Lauda for next year to mentor Hamilton.

tuff times - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 5:03 AM

Kobayashi has been pretty much a saint this year compared to Grosjean or Maldonado. He's been pretty consistent as well(I like Perez too but I feel all he's got is his couple of big results and then nothing).
I think he does deserve a seat compared to some of the others out there.
I will definitely miss Kobayashi if he leaves.

David Chaste - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 6:08 AM

He might have got a bit to comfortable in his ability to retain his seat.

Had he put any effort in finding a sponsor or assessing his F1 racing prospects beyond 2012 he would have easily found a Japanese sponsor or even Chinese or Korean.

Panasonic would pretty much sponsor any japanese racer in a top level series as long as they're competitive (Hideki Mutoh, Takuma Sato in Indy). For the past 2 years Kobayashi has been very competitive, so pretty much all he had to do was ask for help.

Given Japan's economy (in europe only Germany comes close to it), any decent agent with decent effort could have found him a very generous sponsor.

Oli - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 6:22 AM

I don't understand F1 sometimes.

It seems if you are a really decent F1 driver paired with an exceptional F1 driver, you struggle to retain your drive.

Whilst Kobi isn't as good as Perez, he's done far more than either of the Force India drivers and either of the Torro Rosso drivers this season. Front row starts, podiums etc. He more than deserves to retain his seat.

It feels a bit like the Kubica & Heidfeld situation at BMW a few years back, where they were really not too far apart in terms of competitiveness, yet while one was being (rightly) touted as a potentially champ, the other was apparently not even good enough to remain in F1 at the time.

Perez deserves his McLaren seat and potentially will become one of the best drivers on the grid. But KK is very worthy of a seat in the midfield.

Oli

Harold - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 6:25 AM

I don't mind Kobyashi. He is ok. I am not worried if he stays or goes.

What I would be worried about if I were McLaren is that they have used Kobyashi as a benchmark for Perez.

So, what is good? Kobayashi? Or the Sauber?.....

McLaren better hope it is Kobayashi, but actually they might find out how good the Sauber is the hard way.

JACKBEE

November 02, 2012 7:36 AM

David Chaste....How do you know that Kobayashi hasn't been trying to get sponsorship? Are you a close friend/business associate/relative?

As for your ascertion that money runs free in Japan with a huge GDP-Debt ratio (around 180%) virtually all their resources having to be imported oil,timber,food and then add a tsunami, I'm afraid you are wrong.

And Panasonic, just giving out money, well, this week they posted their biggest loss prediction ever of $9.6 Billion dollars!!

sodesu - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 8:12 AM

The problem for Kobayashi is that the tradition in Japanese business seems to be responsible spending. If times are tough, you regroup, downsize, adapt. I do think that's a good thing really, but it hasn't helped Kobayashi. Panasonic have been keen to dish out sponsorship money in the past, but now when they are making heavy losses they will not. I think that's the story with a number of Japanese companies today.

With that in mind, David Chaste, I'd say you're dead wrong. But hopefully there are some Japanese or international companies that would be interested in the market exposure you could get from associating with Kamui, because especially after Suzuka he is immensely popular. So hopefully there could still be hope.

sodesu - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 8:17 AM

...and about the crashing. Yes, he's done some pretty clumsy moves this season, but by no means worse than the likes of Maldonado or Grosjean. If you look at his time in F1 as a whole, he's always been known as an aggressive but safe driver, but somehow it hasn't quite worked as well for him this season. And Perez has certainly had his share of contact too.

In that sense, I think Kamui and Nico would be a very good pairing, because they could probably push each other in a better way. I think those two could work really well together too because they both seem like genuine, nice, positive, humble and easy-going blokes.

LJ - Unregistered

November 02, 2012 8:55 AM

Wow the clueless Kobayashi haters came out in full force here. I don't know how you can say a driver who got his maiden podium recently isn't worthy of being in F1.

I agree with anothers post in that Perez and Kobayashi have been finishing higher up then the car probably should be all season. That's to say they've done a better job than those with faster cars from time to time.

My feeling at this point is he could end up at Force India as he has mentioned talking to other teams and his current team in a couple of interviews now. The emphasis on other teams each time. But who knows, there are still a few potential seats up for grabs next year. My hope is he can land a seat where he can show his true potential and quieten the haters.

« 1 2 3  »