F1 » Penalty costs Perez points finish

A ten second stop-go penalty for causing a crash on lap 39 that took out Romain Grosjean and Mark Webber cost Sauber's Sergio Perez that chance to score points in Abu Dhabi.

Sauber must be laughing - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 7:38 PM

Sauber gain from the sponsorship money Perez used to buy his seat, replace Perez with a better driver for next year (Hulk), and get Money from McLaren?
I hope the new sponsorship deals McLaren are hoping for make up for the wrong choice of driver?
He has driven recklessly since signing his new contract.
A lot to live upto next year!

sokudo - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 8:23 PM

I know this stuff is opinionated but I don't see why there are disagrees with AMG's comment? The guy's right. Perez did nothing wrong against Di Resta. I know it's racing but at that point I think Paul would have benefited more from giving Perez room like Button did. The mistake Perez made imo was cutting back onto the track sharply, not just because it wasn't the best choice but because the guy behind was Grosjean and we all know how that turns out.

AMG also made an interesting point about Di Resta at the start. He does pretty much cause the incident between Hulkenberg and Senna, and just to play Devil's Advocate (but also to bring up a factual argument), Grosjean squeezes Lewis into the wall at Spa and was rightfully banned for a race (given his other incidents), Di Resta squeezed Hulkenberg into another car in what was very obviously an avoidable incident (Di Resta had a good deal of room to manoeuvre) and didn't get so much as a warning.

richard

November 04, 2012 9:29 PM

sokudo and amg. i must admit that i also feel that it was all di restas fault, both the perez and hulk incidents. maybe he is just so browned off at not being considered for another team and is overdriving? perez coming back onto track was dangerous, but i doubt very much that he had any idea where other cars were. visibility over your shoulder is non existent.

Steward - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 9:47 PM

The difference between a racing incident and driver fault is whether the drivers actions can be considered a racing incident where 2 cars or more are vying for the same racing space or whether the driver recklessly forces another driver into a compromised incident.
For several incidents involving Di Resta and also Webber and also Maldenado the stewards at this race determined a fair racing incident. The driver was not considered reckless. For example the Di Resta - Hulkenburg incident and earlier from the start where Hulkenburg could have forced Di Resta off the track! Not reckless.
Perez was deemed to be reckless.
The near collision between Di Resta and Perez was not deemed reckless as 2 drivers were vying for the same area if the track and took evasive actions.
Perez causing Grosjean into a compromised situation RECKLESS

Steward - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 10:21 PM

To be fair to Perez he has admitted being at fault. It takes a bigger individual to admit error and for this Perez gains my respect.
I am sure he will improve, I hope he maintains his honesty and continues to admit when he is at fault for incidents such as today.

AMG - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 10:23 PM

The way I see it, Perez was aware enough to give more than enough room to DiR when DiR was coming into the track RECKLESSLY. But Grosjean was not considering that Perez was way ahead, and Romain took a tighter line (passing?) into the left hander.

I stand to what I said, Perez caught DiR napping but it no way force him off the track at all.

AMG - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 10:30 PM

If Perez admitted his part on the collision with Romain then fair enough. He has always admitted his mistakes and I do believe he is learning. The kid is 22 I do believe McLaren can polish him some more once he is in Woking, after all he is 4 years younger than the other "young guns" DiR, Hulk, Maldonado and Kobayashi

Steward - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 10:34 PM

Perez has admitted he was at fault!
Di Resta was not at fault! Grosjean was not at fault. Webber was not at fault.
Perez caused the incident and was at fault.
Perez was found to be reckless.
In his words ""
"I could not get past Grosjean and Di Resta ....tried a risky move that resulted in no points"

AMG - Unregistered

November 04, 2012 10:45 PM

Actual quote " I had to risk a lot to get by, but then unfortunately collided with the Lotus and my race was over."
Seems to me he is just being a diplomat not pointing any fingers and just putting this behind him. Does not really change my point on the manouver or the penalization. But thats racing sometimes. .

« 1 2 3  »