F1 » F1 2012 POLL: Will the US GP be a success this time?

Vote in our latest F1 poll and have your say now on if you think F1 will succeed this time on the other side of the pond. To submit your vote, simply CLICK HERE

FreeJack - Unregistered

November 11, 2012 2:11 AM

A successful USA Grand Prix will raise awareness in the States and may lead to more up and coming drivers setting their sights not on oval racing, but on open wheel circuit racing and Formula 1. It could lead to a surge in kart-racing competition, more young drivers getting involved...all kinds of good things. It has to start somewhere, and since this race is already sold out, it looks like Austin could be a great start. Then the potential for one in Jersey...the USA might finally have more than just Indycar to interest young racers.

Jim Clausen

November 11, 2012 4:24 AM

About a month ago I contacted Circuit of Americas inquiring of ticket prices. I was quoted over $7,000 for a single 4 day ticket. This is with 4 nights at the Austin hotel. Nothing available without hotel. The price to park a motor home was $15,000, with a 2 year commitment at $15,000 per year. Yup, that's right, fifteen thousand dollars. Somebody's a fool. And it ain't me.

There'll be a lot of celebrities there, but they won't be paying a dime to attend. In fact, some will be paid to show up.

Ptolomy - Unregistered

November 11, 2012 5:42 AM

Sad. I live 1200-1300 mi. from Austin. Otherwise I would be there. I don't think it will have the ability to sustain a huge crowd the way Indy did because it is actually not located near a huge amount of people. Don't get me wrong, Texas has some BIG cities, but it will basically be Texas residents only at the races. Save for some other deep pocketed folks. It would be basically like a yearly vacation for me to make it there by car. And to fly, it would take all day both ways because there are no direct flights anywhere near me. And those inderect flights are RATHER pricey.
So I, one of F1's biggest fans in the USA will not be going to Austin anytime soon. Unless one of my rich European friends wants to help me make it there! HAHA!

Ptolomy - Unregistered

November 11, 2012 5:49 AM

PS
I'd also like to apologise to the F1 community for the last "American" F1 driver. Scott Speed was a disgrace and embarrassment to F1 with his sideways hat and ignorant attitude.

Jim Clausen

November 11, 2012 7:35 AM

"Will the US GP be a success this time"

Probably not. When you tell someone in the U.S. that you are a motorsports fan they ask if you mean Nascar. They know who Dale Earnhart Jr. is, but would not even have an inkling who Michael Schumacher is. They would probably ask if he is a soccer player. Hardly anyone here has heard of Phil Hill. Mario Andretti is not known for his F1 championship, only for his Indy car exploits. F1 is probably more than likely taken by most Americans as shorthand for an expletive.

Ptolomy - Unregistered

November 11, 2012 10:00 AM

If it means anything to the RoW or "Rest of the World" I am an "American" F1 fan. I don't know ANYONE else that is an F1 fan anywhere near me. I mean zero. One time I was wearing a Ferarri hat back in the Schumi days and a young man at my local shopping mall stopped me and asked if I was an F1 fan. That was in 2005 or 2006. That is the ONLY time I have had ANY contact with another F1 fan. Well, There is one other guyin my town of 50,000 people that I've heard of that takes interest in F1, but I havn't met him. Noone even know what F1 is here!

richard

November 11, 2012 12:25 PM

ptolomy. i think that this one race, may be quite successful, but whether or not it is the start of f1 interest in usa, i just dont know.
it appears that to be successful as part of a series, there is a need for interstate rivalry, which would mean that there would need to be maybe 5 or 6 races in different parts of the states?

all americans are unlikely to travel thousands of miles each year, just to see ONE race, especially as it can be watched on tv.

but i do hope that the racing lives up to its expectations. the track does look good.

moody - Unregistered

November 11, 2012 12:52 PM

Bernie wants a second GP in the US, and if New Jersey doesn't happen in 2014, he'll find somewhere else. I live in Austin, and the F1 buzz has been building for months. Everyone here knows what F1 is now, and I believe that can spread throughout the US. Anyone who has been to the Canadian GP will agree that it is more of an International event than just Canadian. The Canadian GP doesn't rely on people in Vancouver or Toronto, just as the US GP won't be 100% dependent on the rest of the US. Granted, the actual race itself is the primary reason for attending a GP, but the entire GP weekend is what makes or breaks the experience. Austin is known for it's festivals such as SXSW and ACL which draw huge International crowds. Austin has an unique atmosphere that will easily bring people back.

« 1 2 3 4  »