F1 » NBC reveals first names in 2013 F1 line-up

NBC Sports has picked up three members of SPEED's motorsport commentary alumni team to present its coverage from 2013.

Mark _

November 16, 2012 9:36 PM

@Tablerock - unlike the others Varsha has other duties at SpeedTV. You may have noticed that if the Barrett Jackson auction is on the same weekend Varsha covers that and not the F1 race.

Personally I think that this is good news. Matchet is great and at times Hobbs can be pretty funny. Having F1 and Indycar on the same network will be great for open wheel racing in the U.S.

ATX2012 - Unregistered

November 16, 2012 10:49 PM

In the Wednesday evening FOTA Fan Forum here in Austin there was a question about this during the 3rd session, hosted by Will Buxton and with David Hobbs as a panelist. Hobbs indicated that there was something afoot and would be announced soon and now it had been. Buxton was also asked about his own involvement and it seemed that he had not been part of the NBC negotiations so far (or he has a very good poker face!) Buxton also indicated that he believed that Varsha has another year under contract with Speed. So, for now, I wouldn't expect Varsha to be coming along to NBC unless it's somewhere down the road.

pt - Unregistered

November 17, 2012 12:10 AM

I hope NBC will broadcast live so those of us who tivo can record it live and wake up to it in the morning. I'm also hoping that the commentators will keep their talk to the events of the action at hand and not fill every moment with commentary. Sam Posey's plastic script I won't miss. And, a minute or two of footage of the exotic locals such as Monoco, Budhapest, Japan, for example would improve the feel of place for each race particularly without the ugly speed logo and ads over it.

Alucard - Unregistered

November 20, 2012 3:01 AM

For me Steve Matchett is the key to this - the amount of stuff he can spot about what is going on and he is invariably proven right. His insight, knowledge and networking with the teams adds something to the broadcast that I haven't seen in broadcasts from other countries. I think that the USA is lucky to have him around. I am so pleased that they are bringing most of the team over, and hope that Bob Varsha can join them after his contract with Speed/Fox expires.

I would like to see more background stuff, like the BBC do before and after the race. They can happily make the content online if they want. They should also send the commentators to the race, and let them enjoy it and provide the background from on-site.

Martin - Unregistered

November 21, 2012 10:50 PM

I'm much more interested in the details of the coverage. I'm English living in the US so I have watched F1 races on the BBC and Sky - that is how races should be covered, flag to flag without silly commercials. AND by commentators actually at the track. I'm just hoping that NBC at least covers the races live, and by live, I mean live not Fox style live where it's minutes behind. I always watch with a laptop of Live Timing or an iPad and the F1 Timing App and that becomes useless if the race isn't live. BBC and Sky also cover ALL sessions, not just FP2, Qualifying and race.

Frank Zappa - Unregistered

December 02, 2012 9:00 AM

I am very happy that Leigh Diffey will be replacing Bob Varsha. Bob is not witty, funny, nor interesting. Just because he can name all of the corner's names (like, Eau Rouge) at all the tracks doesn't make him qualified to call a race. I've really enjoyed the interaction between Diffey and The Boys (Hobbs and Matchett) on weekends where Varsha was doing B-J auctions. It always bugged me that Varsha kept trying to keep a lid on Hobbs, who is very funny/sarcastic and doesn't pull his punches (...that move took major attachments). But Varsha would try to stop his comments with "OK, steady on now...", etc.

I disagree with the comment made on Sam Posey. He has tremendous insight into the sport of auto racing, and especially F1. He is a cerebral guy and I will miss "Posey's Perspective".

Andy Claydon - Unregistered

December 23, 2012 12:49 PM

Very sad to see the F1 coverage leave Speed. Speed understood the ethos of F1 in a way that US TV networks never will. Being one of the many who tried to watch the Olympics this year despite the abominable 'live' coverage supplied by NBC, I am now prepared to see F1 relegated to the history books. There may be some mitigation with Hobbs and Matchett joining the new team, but I suspect that NBC's ability to substitute sheer drivel for real coverage will win out. We shall wait and see but I am not hopeful.

1 2  »