F1 » Kobayashi exit 'not easiest decision', admits Sauber

Kamui Kobayashi will not be a part of the Sauber line-up next season, but team principal Monisha Kaltenborn admits it was tough to let him go.

tucker - Unregistered

November 23, 2012 1:14 PM

Sergio Perez: 66 points (10th in the Championship) gets a drive at McLaren in 2013.
Kamui Kobaysahi: 58 points (11th in the Championship) gets the boot and won't be driving in F1 in 2013.
Somehow that doesn't add up to me. Sauber are looking for money not skill.

Emmanuel Rubi Diaz - Unregistered

November 23, 2012 1:18 PM

Im afraid the diference is that Perez gets the seat for the amazing performance in 2012 in just one year while the jap got many more years to prove and well im afraid it does add up, about esteban probably its money but the same was said about Perez so we only need to wait.

LJ - Unregistered

November 23, 2012 1:21 PM

If Monisha wanted to move up the constructors table she has made the wrong move. I just don't see Gutierrez scoring a big haul of points next year.

I'm trying to be not bitter, but I hope this blows up in Saubers face. This move has nothing to do with talent and all about money. If it had been Frijns they were replacing Kobayashi with, I might be able to forgive them as I can see him as a future talent.. Gutierrez.. Not so much.

JJJ - Unregistered

November 23, 2012 1:50 PM

Yeah it definitely doesn't add up, especially since Koba quite comprehensively beat Perez last year (ok, it was Perez' 1st year but still...).

I'm afraid the decision has been 'unofficially' made quite a while ago, even before the podium in Japan and with the signing of Hulkenberg it was pretty much a done deal...

Dee - Unregistered

November 23, 2012 2:07 PM

I can't tell you how devastated I'll be if Kamui isn't on the grid next year. While not Japanese, I've spent a large proportion of my life living just a stones throw from the Suzuka circuit, and after years of token Japanese drivers along the Ide line, it was great to see a Japanese driver who raced... and raced seriously. I just can't understand why Kamui isn't backed with huge amounts of yen behind him. He's a superstar back in Japan. Perhaps he spent too much time in Europe building up his racecraft and not staying at home and building up relationships with sponsors. This makes no sense to me.

Boston Red Lobsters

November 23, 2012 2:45 PM

Still Lotus has not announced that they will keep Romain Grosjean next year. What are they waiting for? I hope they are negotiating with Kamui now. It might be too late, but Kamui is trying to get sponsors, which means he is negotiating with at least one team.

Kobi 1 - Unregistered

November 23, 2012 2:52 PM

This is complete bullshit. He is a mega driver and super exciting to watch, possibly the best Japan has ever produced. I was a Sauber fan because of his driving style but i will struggle to support them after this although i understand they need development cash which obviously Telmex will fund.

Such a pity that a great talent and raw driver is being forced from the top flight.

Sauber could have made the decision earlier to release him to look for alternatives aswell, all seats pretty much spoken for. Would be greta if Ferrari or McLaren picked him us as a test pilot.

1 2 3  »