F1 » Marko backs Austrian GP as Valencia plots return

Red Bulk advisor Helmut Marko insists that the possibility of bidding for an Austrian GP cannot be entirely ruled out.

Liam48

December 05, 2012 1:18 PM

Personally I would love to see the Red Bull Ring (A1Ring) return to Formula 1. For modern day F1 it would produce great racing as it has long straights & who else wouldn't want to watch Formula 1 cars racing near the Austrain Alps with the sound of the cars bouncing off the surrounding location.

I believe it is one of the most spectacular race tracks in the world. I'd rather have a track with a great scenery than go to one with buildings around it!

Come on Red Bull & Bernie make this a reality for the die hard race fans.

LJ - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 1:23 PM

I can't remember watching this GP on tv, but I've seen clips of it on youtube and it looks awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing it on the calendar again.

andren79 - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 2:47 PM

A1 Ring is a proper classic-style venue that both provides a good track layout and is fan-friendly due to its elevated "grass-stands". If it makes its way back into F1, it will be great. Even with the recession, I am sure there would be more paying fans watching the Austrian GP than, for example, the Chinese GP. However, the latter is more profitable to Mr. Ecclestone due to government subsidies. I wonder for how long that model will be sustainable.

richard

December 05, 2012 2:51 PM

it would be nice to have the original osterreich ring back, but this one will do nicely. didi put 70m into rebuilding the track and stands,and did a great job. there is talk of valencia trying to get back on the schedule. we hardly need a second spanish race, so maybe an austrian one could be a etter possibly. or even if the nj race is cancelled, the red bull ring could step in?

Piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 3:02 PM

Big tick from Piercarlo for the return of the A1Ring, OK it's not QUITE the Osterreichring but Spa isn't quite Spa and we all like Spa don't we? The tail-end of the '82 race there was one of the most exciting finishes ever (De angelis/Rosberg), and the last time the Chapman Cap got an airing. Happy days....

sokudo - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 3:37 PM

Hardly surprising that Marko would back it but it's a great track that I would love to see back in F1. In all honesty, it needs to re-establish its reputation after the shambles Ferrari did in '01 and '02. That's the last I remember of the Austrian GP in F1.

RJM - Unregistered

December 05, 2012 6:20 PM

I would genuinely love it if they brought back the Osterreichring. An absolute classic track, the A-1 ring by comparison was tedious.

Then again there's part of me would welcome the return of the original Spa track above all. The Masta Kink...

Buck Bundy

December 05, 2012 7:40 PM

My lasting memory was when Sato crashed the Jordan (not his fault for once) and Eddie Jordan was interviewed looking very worried as he had seen the TV pictures that looked like someone was trying to restart Sato's heart, but with the benefit of a bigger screen at home it was clear that it was someone just squeezing out fluids from a drip bag.

I actually felt some sympathy for Eddie that day.

1 2  »