F1 » Vote for your 2012 F1 Driver of the Year

The title race went to the wire, with two of the sport's biggest names vying for the crown, but F1 2012 was more than that, with eight different winners and some unexpected names in unfamiliar places. But who deserves the title of driver of the year?

US_F1_Fan - Unregistered

December 09, 2012 6:31 AM

Funny, I intentionally posted that after reading your BS on the previous page.

It sure looked that way on tv, and by qualifying positions.
By mid-season the red cars were looking competitive, but before that it seemed like a lot of luck and some great starts combined with some great driving elevated Alonso's finishing spot past where anyone expected.

I am not a fan of Ferrari or Alonso but credit where due.

If my brain was washed, maybe yours needs a good cleaning too.

pizzaboy

December 09, 2012 7:13 AM

It might come as a surprise but I gave my top honors to NICO HULKENBURG...
If you see, SFI car did develop in the 2nd half of the season but it had no right to land in top 5 so consistently, partially proved by PDR (Who by no means a slow driver, if less exciting).

I think Hulk did an excellent job,he showed pace, was level headed w/o any stupid mistakes on & off the track (crash with Hami was just a bad luck for them both). If McLaren had not hurried in signing Mexican sponsorship, they would have considered Hulk strongly. He is much more suited to Mecca's character than Perez

Thr old man - Unregistered

December 09, 2012 8:18 AM

In my view, Kimi and Lewis win hands down the honour of top driver this year. Kimi for giving us memorable moments with three of the most incredible overtakes in F1, Germany, SPA and Brazil, and Lewis for his blinding speed and his racecraft. He came of age this year and was it not for the unreliability of the car he would have been fighting with Seb for the championship.
Kimi's pass on Schumacher in Germany has to be one of the best ever. It defies the laws of Physics. He was on the outside going into the turn and suddenly cuts in, shoots off as from a rocket, and is inside Schumi at the exit, steadies the car and takes off. Seb could not pull the same trick on Jenson and went off track. Honourable mention to Schumi for giving us some of the cleanest and breathtaking wheel to wheel racing, and of course Seb and Alonso for solid years.

Yernar - Unregistered

December 09, 2012 4:42 PM

Definitely Alonso #1. He outdrove his car, fought neck-a-neck with Vettel in a much more superior Red Bull and almost won the title.

Then comes Raikkonen, a comeback king, who beat Webber, Hamilton and Button in better cars and gifted us some really breathtaking maneuvres.

Then, agree or not, comes Massa. He was almost left without job, overcame really huge long lasting trouble and finally returned to an elite group. In addition, he gave up his own results in favor of his team and team-mate. It were hard decisions I guess, but he did it and we have to respect that.

JohnO - Unregistered

December 09, 2012 5:56 PM

"Prevailing opinion from what I have read and heard- plus what I saw during races- is that at the start of the season, RBR, McL, Merc and maybe Lotus had better cars than Ferrari."

"It sure looked that way on tv, and by qualifying positions."

I repeat, the exact same qualifying positions used to justify the clams that the Ferrari was super slow could also be used to justify the claim that the Red Bull was super slow. There are no actual numbers which support the claim that the Ferrari was a dog of a car which Alonso somehow, with his samurai skills, got good results in. I put my trust in hard data, not in "opinion".

US_F1_Fan - Unregistered

December 10, 2012 2:56 AM

I understand your point as far as my lacking definitive staistics to quote.
There are none.
The only indisputable facts available are the timing and scoring stats and grid/finish positions but I don't think it takes a great deal of genius to watch in-car footage of qualifying and see a car that seems easy to drive (very little steering input and a fast lap) or one that seems much harder to drive, with a lot of steering adjustments and visible "twitchiness" of the car on track... and a slower lap.

Which car would you say is better?

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »