F1 » Hamilton: I need six months at Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton says he needs at least six months before he can aid Mercedes with development of its new F1 car

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Pole Position - Unregistered

December 11, 2012 6:03 AM

@ Jim Clausen You are insane. Both Hamilton & Alonso would've accomplished the same results. It's all about the car and Redbull have had the best car the last 3 yrs. It's not all about speed. It's all about design and reliability. Having the best in Engineer (Adrian Newey) in the sport also helps.

Nick636

December 11, 2012 6:27 AM

I must admit that the way Lewis has been (in the press at least) has surprised me.

He has been well spoken and shown some humility. I think it's also quite ironic how this has worked out. He has switched to Mercedes, where he and Rosberg are actually quite similar in their driving style. And Perez at Mclaren, where his and Jenson's driving styles I find quite similar.

Next year will be interesting to say the least.

Objective

December 11, 2012 7:18 AM

Sure there were fans of individual drivers in the past but they were fans of the sport first and fans of the individual second. I don't let my liking of a particular driver ruin my love of the sport. I prefer open discussions based on facts to pure fanboy blindness. I am not a fan of any of the current drivers although I think Kimi did well with a less than great car this year. Vettel may achieve greatness but I think he needs more time to mature. I thought Lewis would be hugely successful after he burst onto the scene but is hasn't happened yet.

sodesu - Unregistered

December 11, 2012 8:24 AM

That's a good point there, Schu if anyone should be able to provide the engineers with the feedback they need to improve the car. So seems like something's been missing there. However Merc have also made other, less-publicised personnel changes, so hopefully they have taken measures to improve their engineering team aswell.

Anyway what I personally think is the key factor to Hamilton's move is that he is in fact going from a customer team to a factory team. McLaren have effectively been Merc's factory effort for many years, but now their priority is their own team. I think this will show more when the new engine regs go in effect. The Merc chassis and engine will be developed for each other all the way, and this process will have started already. The customer teams on the other hand will get the finished engine and will have to adapt their chassis to it. That can make a lot of difference.

ham and egg - Unregistered

December 11, 2012 9:51 AM

Pole position, Hamilton couldnt close the 2010 championship in his favour. What makes you think he would win 3 back to back WDC with Red Bull ?

Just because Vettel did it doesnt mean any overhyped Brit driver would do the same.

Ptolomy - Unregistered

December 11, 2012 10:38 AM

All this nonsense... and then Nico blows Lulu in the weeds. I can see it happening. When Nico is outperforming Lulu after a few races, then I can see some really off the wall antics and crazy talk coming from Lulu. I can't wait! One way or another we are in for some exciting times in F1. Kinda like 2011 when Lulu was banging and rubbing fenders with everyone.

chris - Unregistered

December 11, 2012 5:32 PM

6 months before Merc finish in the points, 6 months before they even begin to understand the tyres, 6 months of forgetting to tighten the wheel nuts, 6 months before the first fruitless upgrade, 6 months before Lewis finally looses his cool. Month 7 they totally give up on the 2013 car.

Pole Position - Unregistered

December 12, 2012 5:50 AM

@ ham and egg because unlike u. I don't worship Vettel. I give most of the credit of Redbull's success to Adrian Newey. The top 3 drivers in F1 are Alonso, Hamilton, and Vettel. Sorry, I burst your bubble.

« 1 2 3 4 5