F1 » Button looks forward to senior role

Jenson Button says he is excited by the prospect of leading McLaren in the 2013 F1 season

Filter Comments: All | Registered

aGenuineF1fan - Unregistered

December 12, 2012 8:44 PM

Worth noting that Butto is liked and respected within the team, be interesting to see how Perez gets on in that respect, Hamilton seriously underestimated how god Button is in that respect...it's my team etc. That changed pretty quickly.

aGenuineF1fan - Unregistered

December 12, 2012 8:45 PM

(dupliate, no editing)

Worth noting that Button is liked and respected within the team, be interesting to see how Perez gets on in that respect, Hamilton seriously underestimated how good Button is in that respect...it's my team etc. That changed pretty quickly.

Mark _

December 12, 2012 10:34 PM

@Pole Posistion - kind of like when Button tricked Lewis into agreeing to the triathlon challenge? Too bad that Anthony would not let Lewis do it. As I recall it would have raised some money for charity. Oh well.

jim crint - Unregistered

December 13, 2012 12:38 AM

@pole position - well, I appreciate that it's a forum, I guess I was just having my say.

I don't dislike Hamilton at all. I think he's one of the quickest drivers there's ever been and some of his moves have been off-the-scale brilliant but I feel that people who admire him overlook some of his failings. His lack of consistency at times, and impetuous nature have cost him and his team dear. The fact that he didn't go into the last race of 2010 with a big lead was entirely down him (remember that coming together with Massa at Monza? Totally unneccessary!) So you can't pin Lewis' lack of success all on Mclaren. He's contributed to his own misfortune in a way that Vettel hasn't. Vettel seems more mature. What was all that twitter nonsense about? Lewis has grown up a lot and this move to Mercedes, might actually be the making of him (as a man, if not a driver).

jim crint - Unregistered

December 13, 2012 12:54 AM

Slightly off topic, but one area that I feel that people underestimate Button is in overtaking. One of the best moves I ever saw, up there with Senna & Mansell, was Hamilton round the outside of Rosberg through turn 11 at Melbourne in 2010. Incredible! But I think Buttons move on Schumacher at Monza last year, into Ascari, was every bit as brave, committed and skilful! I feel that there has never been a better grid, ever, when it comes to great overtaking. Webber, Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Button, Vettel....also Kobayashi, Hulkenberg, Massa even, if he's 'back'!. (Dam, I wish I could include Kubica, loved his driving. What a loss!)

These are great days. Lap it up! Next year should be even better than this!

Michael Fornarina - Unregistered

December 13, 2012 1:02 AM

Button saying he will flourish as Mclaren's 'Number 1 driver' saay whaaat?? Mclaren abandoning their policy of 'Equality'? whatever happened to this.. during the Alonso--Hamilton-Mclaren-era 2007 --

'The team has always stood by their driver equality policy, which Dennis recently reiterated.

"We at McLaren believe in the principle of equality and giving both our driver's an equal opportunity to win championships," he said.

Is Mclaren already so sure that Perez is not a reasonable Lewis Hamilton replacement that they have already slotted him into a per-formed number two role?

Where are I going wrong here?

jim crint - Unregistered

December 13, 2012 1:09 AM

@michael fornarina - Perez has huge potential but is not the guy you can rely on at this stage to bring home a WDC. He's capable of great speed but lacks experience. McLaren have had issues with his fitness. He's not at the same level as Lewis & Jenson, not by a long shot. So he's got to step up in a lot of ways and it's a bedding in year, so Jenson is the de facto team leader until Sergio gets into his stride and starts making a meaningful contribution.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »