F1 » Razia caught out by Marussia move

Luiz Razia claims to have been in negotiation with the Marussia F1 team right up to the point where it announced Max Chilton as its second driver for 2013.

Noitall - Unregistered

December 19, 2012 10:14 AM

Just proves what a circus F1 really is. A few front runners who have talent with the rest of the field made up of cheque book racers. Clearly not the elite sport it should be.
Bring back Billy Smart's circus, the clowns have for talent.
If F1 is to be truly great then only the very best should be competing at this level.
Maybe car racing is too easy having raced both 2 and 4 wheels there is no doubt anyone within reason can race a car fast but not everyone can race a motorcycle.

Taipan

December 19, 2012 10:42 AM

For all those about to moan about the "recent" influx of pay drivers guess how Niki Lauda got into F1?

2 huge bank loans secured on life insurance policies bought him his way into March and then BRM, only signing for Ferrari in '74 allowed him to clear his debts. So technically Niki was a pay driver and he did rather well....

Taz

December 19, 2012 10:48 AM

@Taipan

Interesting piece of info, I didn't know that but I'd argue that's a different case. There's a difference between someone who has the obvious talent taking a financial risk to get a leg up and drivers who haven't demonstrated anything particularly special and get in due to large financial backing.

Everyone needs backing but I think the point that's been lost recently here is that undeserving drivers are getting in.

Maybe Chilton will do okay and now he's in F1 I'll watch with interest and won't judge any different, the fact that some good proven talent is getting frozen out of F1 is the real issue.

nottelling - Unregistered

December 19, 2012 10:50 AM

People !!! Motorsport is a Business it costs millions of pound to run in F1 and without the money from the Pay drivers many of these teams would not be sustained. yes we all would like to see a grid full of the best drivers in the world but there isn't a bad one on the grid you don't win races at any level of motorsport by being okay even all the way down to club level so cut all the guys a break they are fortunate enough that there personal sponsors are family members who are wealthy enough to sponsor a team so that there vested interest (there child) gets a drive. are you honestly telling me you would turn it down ? really best of luck to them all they will be jugged when the lights go out and the bull**** stops not by us on a forum.

Taipan

December 19, 2012 10:56 AM

Taz, I can't argue with you as I agree. Another bit of Lauda background is that his parents were very wealthy and could have easily paid his way into F1 (like Chilton) but they didn't agree with his motor racing career.
I don't know much about Chilton as I don't follow the lower formulas, he doesn't seem to have a great record from what I know but I wish him well. However there are certainly more qualified drivers out there that I would rather see on the F1 grid.

shaken - Unregistered

December 19, 2012 10:57 AM

If there is a world recession, it certainly does not exist in F1!!!! I cannot believe the competition amongst wealthy drivers (or pay drivers) who will bring $millions to a team. Perhaps I should start a F1 team myself?????

richard

December 19, 2012 11:10 AM

ty. i am surprised that taz didnt know about niki. but pay drivers have been there since racing began. all these "gentleman" racers who boiught a car to race themselves. people like peter revson who funded himself, and then ther was piers courage who helped start williams off, by providing funds for frank to buy a car and enter it. the list is endless. and of course, there is schumi, who paid (courtesy of merc) to get into an f1 seat.

but there are pay drivers and there are pay drivers. those with talent possibly deserve to be financed. those without talent, dont deserve financing.

ddd - Unregistered

December 19, 2012 11:16 AM

I sympathize with Razia, he's shown his worth and should have gotten a place in F1 based on merit. Others have pointed out that a car must be built and costs money.

My 2 cents: since cigarette companies can't support F1 anymore there is a huge need for new sponsors with big pockets to come up. Money are needed, one can't expect to having cutting edge technology with bargain budgets. Major modern companies are reluctant to enter the game (I'm looking at google, facebook, apple, samsung, etc), so teams gather money by asking the drivers to pay up. The way I see it F1 is marketed as cutting-edge motorsport. This disregards most "modern" buzz-talk companies which can't relate in any way to the image of F1, so they won't invest. Apple has +100BN$ cash, they could buy all F1 with one year of interest! Why not give incentive to such companies to invest? Maybe F1 in 2014 with the whole "green" credentials could make it happen and whatever money a driver could come up with would be pocket chan

1 2 3  »