F1 » Dennis: We could have kept Hamilton

Ron Dennis says McLaren could have kept Lewis Hamilton for the 2013 F1 season but it 'wouldn't have been the right thing to do'

richard

January 05, 2013 9:02 PM

well, seeing that i am hopeless with electronics, and hate turbos, i reckon that the 60s or even 50s would have suited me. my own competition participation was at end of 60s and early 70s so felt that i was at my peak then.did test a f5000 but was not keen on it as i preferred saloons

ghog

January 05, 2013 9:13 PM

Tai - 1960,s

Lotus 49 onwards - Cars with threaded tyres, no wings, rumbling V8's, Screaming V12's, wood rim steering wheels, tiny little gear sticks, F1 cars "yumping" (at Nurberg?) Oh Yes!

Michael Fornarina - Unregistered

January 05, 2013 10:08 PM

@Richard.. you asked the question of whether Hamilton will even be considered a top driver after 2 years at Merc and perhaps this is a good time to bring up Alonso leaving Mclaren for an uncompetitive Renault two wins later in a dog car.. (1 legit -1 controversial) and Fernando Alonso is still considered a top driver in fact 2nd in the wdc 2012 -- If Lewis can win or place high in the Mercedes and outperform Nico.. (who everybody knows is quick )then yah.. he will be considered a top driver.

Taipan

January 05, 2013 10:13 PM

Ghog, Richard, I'd say the 60's as well, even though I wasn't born 'till 71!
I think it's because I can look at those cars and understand them as cars and wouldn't need 3 years training just to drive one. They were also beautiful without wings and such, I've always prefered mechanics over aerodynamics. Dream drives, Ferrari 156 or Lotus 25.

Richard the F5000 must have been a bit of a beast? the only single seaters that I've driven were Formula Ford.

Michael Fornarina - Unregistered

January 05, 2013 10:17 PM

This is pretty much Ron Dennis doing image-damage control., Hamilton might have also jumped ship because The Mclaren-Ship is beginning to take on water -- 2013 Woking have to pay customer prices for their Merc engines as the Mercedes 'works' partnership ends-- and end of the 2013 season also sees the end of the Vodafone title sponsorship.. (will Vodafone renew?)Mercedes could be well placed for the new Turbo Era being a team with an internally designed works engine. (and not a detuned customer lump).

richard

January 05, 2013 10:23 PM

michael. i was winding up the lulu fanboys a bit!

as for your comment about the merc engine for customers being detuned??? this CANNOT happen. merc (as with any other engine supplier) have to submit an engine to fia, and then have to use that spec and also supply that spec to others. there can be NO difference between own use engines and customer engines.

ty. to be honest, it scared the sch.....weppes out of me!

107SS2009

January 05, 2013 11:14 PM

Pole, as usual 5/6 hours late but here we go, not in chronological order but hoping of having covered all your points. I never said that Lulu is not a top diver in fact I might as well be one of the first on here to have believed so, but I still stand with all I said. Fully agree with your list of “top four drivers on the grid today” and also agree with the order as listed. I don't agree with “u can't have two top drivers at one team” as it's a matter of a team's policy. Also agree there was no room for Lulu at both FERRARI and RBR, which means there was no preference for him over Alonso or Vettel, if he was a preferred driver at least for FERRARI over Alonso, FERRARI had proofed that they have done it before, Kimi/Alonso.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »