F1 » Marko lines up new replacement for Webber

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has apparently earmarked the driver he would like to see replace the 'uncooperative' Mark Webber next season - in a move that could also spite main rival Ferrari....

Trent - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 3:08 AM

@DontTalkNonsense, yep that sounds pretty accurate to me about Webber. Drops his head and sulks too easily. "Not bad for a second driver" comment was poor form too.

On another note, I'm in total agreement with @Richard about Newey. He is an undoubted genius, anyone who doubts his masterclass is beyond me. He is the da Vinci of F1.

Yak - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 4:34 AM

DontTalkNonsense - If you're talking about immediately after the event, I think you'll find pretty much all the drivers get frustrated when their chances are ruined by whatever. But it was Vettel saying before the race from pit lane at Abu Dhabi that he'd be on the podium. After the Brazil incident he spun his damaged car back around and got straight back into it. After the poor strategy call at Montreal, was utterly dominating at Valencia before the alternator failed. After a disastrous Monza, went on to win the next 4 races, etc. He might get frustrated like any other, but he gets on with the job.

Trent - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 5:00 AM

@DontTalkNonsense, I'm absolutely serious and disagree with your comments about Seb.

His spit over the radio about Ricciardo was a tantrum for sure, but in his defense a third world championship was on the line so tensions were surely high.

I don't particularly like Seb, but have the utmost respect for his professionalism and how he has that team working and supportive for him - especially considering how young he is. Marko can't be given the credit for that.

DontTalkNonsense

January 09, 2013 5:29 AM

Trent, the bloke is a prat.

I respect his skill. I just can't stand the style of person he is. Wait until you meet him, you'll see what I mean.
He's had many dummy spits throughout the seasons (who can forget the cucumber line) and he conveniently blames others when it's his fault.

As for getting the team onside, well, they are supporting the 'better' driver, not the nicer bloke.

Trent - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 7:17 AM

@DontTalkNonsense, haven't met him so can't really say. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is a prat. I read an article the other day that (& I'm paraphrasing) that champions aren't like you and I, they have a dark side that drives them (although it's often hidden from the public). I'd say Seb is no different.

But I would argue that he has done a strong job of getting the team to rally around him. Schumacher, Senna, Prost et al were all great at doing this, and the champs of the future will often show the same. I don't think the minions in the team are that fickle to just follow the fast guy.

richard

January 09, 2013 10:37 AM

dtn. have you really met seb? well, i have on several occassions and can tell you that he is a polite and humourous young chap. yes, on race day he focuses on the race and can appear a little distant, as will many of the drivers.
but he has not dissed his team the way that webber or lulu has. if you read red bulletin, you will see the assessment of webber within the team, which to me, seems quite fair, accurately reflects what we see on track.
i suggest that if you really want to see a person in motorsport who acts like a complete prat, that you look at the actions of your countryman in motorgp. hitting other competitors, moaning about them all the time, is not the way to win friends. however, if it is done in the heat of a race, it can be understandable.

Pete - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 3:03 PM

Given the extended discussion on this topic, I decided to go back and watch the Brazilian GP over again. It's truly remarkable watching a second time and knowing the outcome rather than the excitment of the moment.

There is no question that Webber is allowing others, including the Ferrari's, to pass him without a hint of resistance or defensive driving. However, when Seb approaches from behind, Webber clearly makes his wide much wider than with anyone else. For those that may disagree, take the time and watch the race again. It's clear as day.

« 6 7 8 9 10