F1 » Marko: Webber 'struggles with title pressure'

Helmut Marko says he doesn't feel Mark Webber is capable of challenging for the F1 championship title

richard

January 09, 2013 7:24 PM

sunny. some defend webber when he criticises his team, as he "speaks his mind", but when marko "speaks his mind" he is villified?? marko has not actually belittling webber, but has expressed his opinions that mark does not deal with pressure too well. unfortunately that is a fact that few can dispute. hopefully it is something that will fire webber up?

webber belittling his team when he is being handsomely rewarded is also totally disgusting, but he got away with it!

incidentally, the red bulletin came out a week ago, but there has been TOTAL silence from webber. now, if he was upset about it, you can be sure that he would have been voicing his anger , days ago.

looking up webbers cv, he has only won ONE championship in his career...formula ford. otherwise third has been his best anywhere

cockroach

January 09, 2013 7:31 PM

Richard, have you ever raced or competed for a high level team or organisation? if you have you would know that the last thing you want or need is to have some bloke with an inferior CV to yours gobbing off in the back ground, it doesnt help anyone, it is highly unprofessional of Marco, even if he doesn't rate or like Mark. I know what it is like to ride with sponsors and the expectation and stress that comes with it, so this rubbish coming from a senior team manager is totally out of line, I was with RB for a few years in their early days and knowing the big "D" and what he stands for he wouldn't be too impressed with Marco, I really hope that Mark gives him the good news when they are next face to face.

Taz

January 09, 2013 7:35 PM

@richard

I'm sure if Webber wanted to hang out the teams dirty laundry in public it could be much worse. I will point out my argument changes none of the following:

A) Vettel IS a deserving champion
B) Newey is a genius but it's a team effort
C) Horner does a good job but comes across as a **** at times

Fact is though, Webber has played games in the media but this is a boot in the b0llocks.

richard

January 09, 2013 7:43 PM

c roach. you were with red bull????? pull the other one. but i think that you should read the full article in the mag, which is issued with didi's approval. marko opines about webber, and that is his job. didi is totally happy with marko and he himself was unhappy with webber at brazil.

the simple fact is that marko is the official spokesman for red bull, with mateschitz's full approval. you may not like what he says about your countryman, but as i said, he is the official spokesman, not you or me.

Taipan

January 09, 2013 7:43 PM

I really don't see what good these comments do for the RBR team. I've defended Marko in the past but this is just garbage, if you think Mark is that bad get rid of him but FFS lay off him in public.

cockroach

January 09, 2013 7:53 PM

Richard, I was with RB as well as Oneill, Arnett and Blue Hawaii surfboards for years on the ASP Professional Surfing tour, I still surf in the masters now, mainly back home in Australia, so I am not pulling anyones leg, I met "Didi" as you call him early days in Austria, I am married to an Austrian and was always there, he sponsors a bit more than just motor sport, and again for the record, Marco shouldnt be gobbing off!

Pete - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 8:16 PM

There is nothing Dr. Marko has said that is untrue. That being said, there is no benefit to RBR to say these things at this point less than a month before testing.

I truly think it will be hard for RBR to win the WCC without Webbers help. I don't think he's very good, but good enough to earn points in what has been the best car on grid 3 years running.

This could go one of two ways: Webber folds like a house of cards due to the fact he knows he is out after this year, or he goes out all guns blazing and has a career year. If the former, then look for Webber to be replaced perhaps mid year or just beyond by another driver.

If I was RBR and there was a clear unease with one of their drivers to the point that such comments were being played out in the media, I'd look to sign Heikki as the reserve driver as an insurance policy.

107SS2009

January 09, 2013 8:23 PM

Richard, I for one not only didn't defended MW when he bad mouthed his team (or any other driver for that matter) but was openly against RBR renewing MW's contract after his behaviour, but yes, Marko's solo intentions couldn't but only be to belittle one of his drivers, if Marko made his comment after the driver finished driving for RBR his comment could have been classified as a personal opinion, but certainly not while the driver still drives for the team.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »