F1 » Hill: DRS is 'interesting' addition to F1

Damon Hill says he can see positive reasons for the inclusion of DRS in the F1 regulations.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

StefMeister - Unregistered

March 10, 2013 2:06 PM

One of my biggest dislikes of DRS is when the car in front is left totally defenseless & the car behind simply opens DRS & then goes straght past with relative ease.

Some of the most exciting/intense racing I've seen have been when you have had one driver defending with a car behind doing everything to try & find a way past, I loved those 2 great Alonso/Schumacher battles at Imola in 05/06, I was kept on the edge of my seat through to the end of those 2 races watching 2 great drivers racing each other hard. OK no overtake occurred but it was thrilling to watch.

When there is zero chance to overtake & the cars behind are not able to even attempt an overtake then yes it can get a bit dull.

The problem however is that DRS often swings things too far the other way, Instead of overtaking been too hard, It often then becomes far too easy & I think thats equally as bad.

StefMeister - Unregistered

March 10, 2013 2:07 PM

One of the thing which got me hooked on racing is the racing, I love watching close racing, I love watching good/close racing battles & I love watching good, exciting overtaking & to me DRS produces none of these & over the past 2 seasons its been doing nothing but hurt my enjoyment of the races to the point where my attention has started to go elsewhere.

I remember in the Pre-DRS era, Watching one car starting to catch another was exciting, Watching that car looking for ways to overtake was exciting & watching any eventual overtaking move was exciting. Now I all too often find myself getting excited over one car catching another only for that car to hit DRS & breeze straght past when he gets there, No excitement, No tension over a good battle, Nothing & that really kills my enjoyment of the race.

StefMeister - Unregistered

March 10, 2013 2:07 PM

One example from last year was Montreal, Watching Lewis catching Vettel/Alonso got my heart rate up, However he then passes Vettel super easily in the DRS zone & it was then blatantly obvious he woudl do the same to Alonso when he caught him, For me there was nothing exciting about that, Especially since the pass for the lead/win was predictable before he even caught him.
If you go back & watch the pass for the lead, Lewis starts to pull alongside but begins to stall out & as a result we woudl have been treated to a great battle down to the braking zone, However as soon as they got to the DRS line Lewis pushed his button & was driven clean past, Boring!

Im not saying that I necessarily prefer what we had before as overtaking was harder than it could have been, I accept that. However I don't believe DRS is the answer because I feel its taken things way too far the other way, Overtaking is now too easy & there's now so much of it that I feel its starting to be devalued. I also believe t

StefMeister - Unregistered

March 10, 2013 2:07 PM

I also believe that the drivers that are great overtakers are also now not standing out as much as they used to because everyone can pass & there's now less need for that exciting dive up the inside which made guys like Hamilton, Kobayashi & Juan Montoya stand out like they did & become fan favorites as a result.

In the DRS-era we are seeing more passing, A lot more, However we are now seeing a lot less exciting overtaking & thats the thing I hate the most!

mrfill

March 10, 2013 2:11 PM

About the only interesting thing I saw last season was when a smart driver allowed the car behind to pass just before the detection line and then hurtled past in the zone, driver laughing like a drain. The rest of the time it seems to be a device to try and make badly designed, tedious tracks, look a bit more interesting.

rob01

March 10, 2013 2:50 PM

I am interested in how it will change qualifyiing. Red Bull used to let it stay open around nearly the entire track. With it now limited to the actual zones it may hamper their efforts.

richard

March 10, 2013 4:14 PM

rob. you are busy today! other cars also ran with their drs open for as much as possible, but (and this was always mentioned by commentators) the bull was geared for the race, and was always down on top speed with drs open as a result. when a bull came to pass another car in the race, it had great difficulty, as they were bouncing off the limiter when drs was operative, and couldnt get past a car which was not using drs.
so, it would appear that with limited use of drs, the bull may turn out to have an advantage.

GP Mike - Unregistered

March 11, 2013 7:28 PM

Solution is simple...get rid of the wings. Wings are for planes and will never have any use in normal motoring so are of no use, except as advertising hoardings.
So, to keep Bernie and Co happy, keep the wing but put it at right angles to current a'la Sprint cars. Plenty of advertising space but no aero benefit until the car is sideways.....now there's an idea...

« 1 2