F1 » Heavy rain forces qualifying postponement

Persistent heavy rain showers in Melbourne have forced the postponement of the second and third sessions of qualifying for the Australian GP to Sunday morning.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

richard

March 16, 2013 7:26 PM

it totally amazes me to read all the criticism of the stewards. all written by armchair racers who are not risking their lives at 200mph on a circuit which was pooling. most of the critics could not handle their cars on the motorway if they aquaplaned at 40 mph.

there were delays as quali was delayed in the hope that the conditions would improve, but eventually, it was decided that failing light was becoming a problem. there was time available in the morning to finish quali, so a sensible decision was made. i seem to recollect a few years ago, that the grid was settled on practice times only, as quali was cancelled. but the grid could well be decided on q1 times if neccessary.
it is NOT the race that has been affected, only quali.

commodore was there and knows the conditions, those moaning about the poor fans, and viewers, are sitting in warm rooms in front of the tv.
but dont worry, the actual race will start, even if behind the safety car.

John - Unregistered

March 16, 2013 7:30 PM

"now you've completely jumped the troll shark and are just making up very silly arguments all by yourself "

Those are YOUR very silly arguments which I am merely pointing out to you.

"But you're making the argument that because Senna didn't win EVERY race he ever drove in the wet .."

No, I'm not, not even slightly. I'm pointing out that results in the wet are a roll of the dice, a toss of the coin, a spin of the roulette wheel. The appeal of the wet race is NOT that it reveals who the good drivers really are, but simply that it scrambles the 'natural' order of things.

PixieHickies

March 16, 2013 7:41 PM

I apologise if this has already been covered by previous posters.
The conditions today were untenable. The only outcome would have been a half-arsed grid, red flags and major damage for the vast majority of the teams. And I am not talking about only mechanical damage.
The conditions were dangerous and unpredictable. With the best will in the world, you cannot guarantee safety for all involved.
I would prefer to have qually postponed rather than have a minutes silence for someone.

107SS2009

March 16, 2013 10:37 PM

“WE ARMCHAIR CRITICS” most probably but not necessary from in front of TV and the warmth of our house are driven to form and express our opinion depending on the situation effecting the team/driver we support, drivers safety, racing conditions, aqua planning, standing water And such terms are convenient terms to express in order to hide our true feelings behind.

WylieCoyote

March 16, 2013 11:31 PM

Still the armchair jockeys question the experts who decided it was too dangerous. I think all of the cars automatically raise themselves 5 to 10MM when setup for the rain tyres. This helps to prevent aquaplaning when normal rain is encountered. BUt nothin will prevent aquaplaning when you have standing water on the track. You have a large flat surface (the bottom of the car) meeting standing water. That is physics and has nothing to do with the ability of the rain tyres which are already removing 60 litres per second and are not wide enough to remove the water in the middle of the car.

CommodoreS

March 17, 2013 1:36 AM

@ Sunny

If your last comment was directed at me your wrong.

It was dangerous for all competitors involved.

I am here/You are there therefore I consider I can make a impartial opinion well based on experience as to the conditions.

107SS2009

March 17, 2013 5:32 AM

Commodor, my last comment wasn't directed at you.
Yes, no rocket knowhow needed to calculate that whatever the extant of the conditions it was the same for all on the grid for those that beached it and those that didn't as well as for those that done a good time and those that didn't.
I strongly suggest you tell the Albert park administration to upgrade the water drainage system to cope with slightly above normal rain showers for the next race they should seek advice from the Malaysian race track.
That section of armchair critics I was aiming at must feel happy this morning and although as I told you, I wasn't really aiming at you you must feel a happy man this morning, wish you luck for the race.

« 2 3 4 5 6