F1 » Button: We're not suddenly going to be competitive

Jenson Button admits that he fears for his F1 title hopes after a miserable Melbourne weekend.

markfrankhamf1

March 19, 2013 8:48 AM

The fact is, like him or not Lewis Hamilton has brought in a hell of a lot more support for this sport. .support of a younger enthusiastic energised breed this great F1 greatly needed. ...undoubtedly the David Beckham of f1
Yes he's thrown away races just like Ayrton did. .the greatest racer who was in f1 10yrs but only got 3 titles. ..I remember him 'throwing away' races due to his nature of his style.
We've yet to witness the best of my all time hero Lewis. ..unlike the stars of yesteryear the racers of today's f1 are not in 2 horse races negotiating around near static cannon fodder.

Megalol - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 9:14 AM

@jim crint

"LH threw away a 17 point lead with two races to go in 2007."

No he didnt! In China he got a puncture because stupid Mclaren raced him against Alondso and not against the Ferraris and didnt call him in for a pit stop in time. One of the biggest f*ck ups ever in F1 history. Who did it? Of course team Mclaren. They threw away the WDC in an epic fashion! Both Alonso or Hamilton could have won the it easily with better team management.

At Brasil LH had a gearbox problem where he had to restart the car thus he lost 30 seconds.

Get your facts straight!

Megalol - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 9:16 AM

@jim crint

Other thing is pls accept the fact that some cars are better in qualifying than in the race. This menas they will go backwards at race day! How stupid is to blame the driver for this!

oldtimer - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 9:32 AM

I see my new found friend Bob has fallen of his perch again and has failed to address the main point that I was making. I'm not an expert nor am I a fanboy of anyone and I am not an anorak either, I'm simply not interested in how many new widgets somebody has fitted in order to make there car go faster or whatever. While it is invertible that there will be some similarities between this and next years cars the articles I have read or quotes I have seen suggest that most designers think that next years cars will be different because they will take the opportunity to try new things. For one thing I believe and I'm sure Bob will correct me if I am wrong that the new engines will have exhausts exiting from the top between the V. This alone will make the cars look different and will call for a revised approach to aero. Replying to your remark that I don't take in much I would think I've forgotten more about F1 than you will ever know and the fact that I can't remember it all is irrelevant.

markfrankhamf1

March 19, 2013 10:15 AM

Ferrari have got it right. .a number 1 and 2 driver off from the start. .no waiting around until 5 or so races down the line to see what's what. .not the way to win a constructors but who ever remembers those. ..the last time I remember Ferrari pitting driver against driver was with Perroni and Villeneuve..look what happened their!
Its my opinion Ross Brawn is today's top team principle ..we didn't get the chance to see driver tactics on Sunday apart frm the ill gotten plan to jump the others on a 2 stopper :(. .no doubt we will sooner or later see them come to the fore

We all know the cream always rise to the top :)

richard

March 19, 2013 10:42 AM

newey. i do wish that you would take the time to research before you commit to print. read the ms statement closely (oddly it was made by whitmarsh...not mes themselves)

mes" are working with rbr to resolve the issue"..... now to any reasonably astute person, that is an admission that there was a breakdown between the ecu and pits.

and it happened on a number of occassons in testing, wit various teams....it is a software issue, all of which is supplied by mes. and even whitmarsh has linked the incidents.

jim crint - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 11:36 AM

@megalol - I'm totally aware of why Lewis went backwards in the race, and i'm not blaming him, I'm just trying to make a point. I really rate Lewis, who wouldn't?, but to some people he's the only driver that exists. I'm just trying to make the argument that Lewis has flaws and that Button is stronger in certain areas. I never actually claimed that Button was better than anyone, I just think he brings something great to the grid in terms of style and intelligence, something which Lewis hasn't shown much of at times these past couple of years.

In 2007, Lewis ended up in the pit-lane gravel trap in China. If he had a puncture at the time I don't recall, I concede that but on the F1 official site the reason for his retirement is given as a spin.

jim crint - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 11:44 AM

@markfrankham - re Senna.......Picquet, Mansell, Prost, Rosberg, Berger, De Angelis, Johansson, Alboreto, Boutsen, Patrese, Schumacher......I hardly think you could call these drivers cannon fodder! The 80's and earl 90's were years in F1.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »