F1 » Coulthard: Whitmarsh under pressure

David Coulthard says the pressure is on Martin Whitmarsh after McLaren struggle in the Australian Grand Prix

cookie - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 12:26 PM

Well he's let all the teams greatest assets go over the last 6 months He should go at the end of the year followed by Button and Perez. This team needs at least one top line driver to qualify near the front so then they might have a chance of a good result.
Unfortunately they have probably the 2 worst qualifiers on the grid. When you start in the midfield unless you get a few retirements thats were you will end up.
Just see where Hamilton sticks that Merc on the grid in the next few races to see what I mean.

whitew - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 1:02 PM

I've said it before. JB is an average drive unless the car is just right. Lewis on the other hand just wants to drive the wheels of cars.

I would have let Button go and kept Hamilton. McLaren need a star driver for next season.

I think Hamilton will move Mercedes forward massively this season.

mr Know it All - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 1:42 PM

lets not write the whole team off after one race. But I do think Mercedes obsession with employing paddy lowe after he designed this dog must of cooled.... and rightly so. Judge who is where after 5 races

oldtimer - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 2:19 PM

Coulthard is saying what a lot of people think but the likelyhood of Whitmarsh being removed midseason is highly unlikely given the nature of the F1 season. If things don't improve I would guess that Ron Dennis will address the situation come seasons end. Just who might do a better job I have no idea. If this season turns out to be a rightoff there could well be a bit of a bloodbath as McClaren have underachieved for some years. I'm sure my friend Bob will jump to McClarens defence but the facts speak for themselves last season they won 7 races but were still not in the running for the championship, I would have thought that this season they would have wanted to make the best possible start but that simply has not happened. I ask the question "why did all the other teams think it sensible to carry on with an evolution of last years car and McClaren not do so". They had the fastest car at the end of last season and one thing I can remember reading is that they had more things in the pip

oldtimer - Unregistered

March 19, 2013 2:29 PM

eline. As Coulthard says they have 4 or 5 races to get it sorted or it will be a rightoff, not something we expect from McClaren but the result of some muddled thinking.

Mark _

March 19, 2013 3:02 PM

@cookie - I disagree about the importance of qualifying currently. With DRS, KERS, and wonky tires it really does not matter as much as it did when passing was actually difficult.

1 2 3 4  »