F1 » Vettel: I messed up, I'm sorry

Sebastian Vettel: I owe an explanation to Mark and to the team and that's it. Everyone else obviously has the right to have their own opinions but for sure it is not a victory that I'm very proud of because it should have been Mark's.

Sahvey - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:36 PM

Ruthless? Made a dangerous pass? Bloody-minded? Arrogant? Unable to take team orders to slow down? Took advantage of his team mate? Invite him to my x-mas party? No chance. But on an F1 track? This man is GOD!!!

Dan - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:37 PM

If he was sorry and wished he could do something about it then he had about 10 laps to let Webber back through... Can't stand losing again

Team orders suck - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:38 PM

He did the proper thing and that's RACE! Now everyone's up in arms because they didn't ride round and round in circles following each other at a safe distance for another F1 snooze fest. Jeez can we have some racing please!

shanny - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:42 PM

Webber cheated by red bull again move on mark your talents are wasted there don't play second fiddle to vettel he's not a team player showed that today ! Vettels fast for sure but that was under hand if your gona have a scrap with your teammate don't do it when his hands are tied behind his back !

Alex - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:43 PM

Mark did exact thing in Silverstone 2011. “Of course I ignored the team (order) as I want to try and get a place”. He was told to back off of Seb who's car was damaged (by Alonso) but he kept pushing.

While team order is to hold station, i doubt Seb was aware that Mark has turned down his engine. Seb and Mark were right next to one another after Mark's final pit stop, and Seb raced him immediately. If Mark had turn down his engine in the box Seb would have beaten him to P1 when Mark came out. Seb was flying by neck to neck on the track as Mark raced out of pit lane. So one does wonder when did Mark turn down engine.

If anyone is to be blamed it's the team. Both were on fresh tyres with 16 laps to go why hold station. Let them race til last few laps, then hold station. You don't race to be 2nd best ESPECIALLY being the current WDC holder. Seb was already fuming earlier on cos he was backed by slow Mark into Hamilton (following team orders to stay behind 3s to save tyres).

Observer - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:45 PM

@Pole Position. Embarrassing myself? Ridiculous? Care to actually make an argument to counter what I was saying? Or was that all you had? If by my hero you mean Vettel, I urge you to read my posts again. I have not defended Vettel ignoring team orders in any of my posts. What I have been doing is pointing out how quickly people here have turned to adamant supporters of team orders when they benefit Hamilton and hinder Vettel. I have also pointed out that Webber isn't in a position to play the victim. He has put himself before the team too many times to do that. As for the overtake itself, I am rather indifferent, apart from it being the best action during the "race", and I think all of this is just distracting people from the much bigger issue of how disgracefully Merc acted towards Rosberg.

bruce - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:51 PM

A few crocodile tears and a forced apology just dont cut it. It would be nice to think that Mark would pay him back in spades later in the season but Mark is too nice a guy and is mature enough to accept team instructions for that to happen.

rookie - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 4:51 PM

i dont agree even 1% with what vettel did..but webber is no saint remember when vettel was tryin 2 win 2012 dwc webber was the only one who dint support him...and in brazil 2011 he gave webber his win...!!!!! and for people who say webber is never given chance ..then what was this 2 day when they asked vettel to stand down...at least better than ferrari who fu@# their second driver...!!!!!

rookie - Unregistered