F1 » Vettel backtracks, admits he ignored team orders

Sebastian Vettel: I got the call and I ignored it.... I put myself above a team decision

Mark - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 2:47 PM

As demonstrated in 2010 when Webber was ahead in the chamionship for most of the year, Vettels character completely changes when he is faced with losing. He behaves like a child, a spoilt brat who can't deal with not having what he wants. He genuinely seems to feel guilty and embarrased in this case so i'm hoping this is a key moment in the maturation of Sebastion Vettel

Chris - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 2:51 PM

I'm a fan of Vettel's but even I find what he did was low and cant be defended or justified.
Regardless he is fighting for the championship, its a team sport foremost and has to learn to play the team game. The team comes before the driver no matter who it is in the car.

Angelina - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 3:02 PM

@ bob

My post, for some reason, was removed. Anyway I said I was never Vettel's biggest fan and am less so. Let's say I've seen the light. I've been warming to Hamilton a lot lately. Not a full out fangirl yet, but maybe one day.

BonerFide - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 3:03 PM

This whole episode shows that whilst he's a good driver (not a great), he is a thoroughly unpleasant human being. Just hope he needs Webber's help in the final race of the season, also likely to be Mark's for RBR, to win the title. So funny to see him disobey team orders then as his swan song for all the cr@p they've done to him over recent years......

Dumper - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 3:45 PM

As a long standing fan of F1, I want to see wheel-to-wheel racing and the fastest driver winning.
These days with so many things going on at the same time, like tyre, fuel, engines and gearbox managment, wheel-to-wheel racing between team-'mates' is a bit of a luxury.
Teams and their sponsors want to see both cars finishing with maximum points. To archive this team principals need both their drivers to obey their instructions without question.
Vettel should be disiplined by RBR for a breach of a clear instruction from the pitwall, and subsequently inviting bad PR, on the team that pay his wages, by attempting to lie his way out of it.
Clearly Vettel has dug deep to find the inner Schumacher.

Also interesting to note that Alonso is spooked and under pressure from a resurgent Massa.

Gary - Unregistered

March 24, 2013 3:54 PM

This admission has to have been forced upon him by the team which won't put the result right but goes to show that Red Bull, Christian Horner, Adrian Newey and probably Dietrich Mesechitz (from his comments to Sky F1), aren't letting him get away with it.

He has been publicly humiliated with his second telling of the 'ultimate truth'. Good for the powers that be at Red Bull for trying to do something to put it right. I never thought I would see the day that their wunder kid wasn't fully supported by the team.

I wonder if he will be able to learn from it or continue through his career like Schumaker, staining an incredible record with poor moral decisions. There are plenty of sporting legends who manage to balance their competitive instincts with decency and honour.

You have to look no further than Sir Stirling Moss who argued that his competitor should be awarded points in the spirit of the rules and subsequently lost the WDC. He was no less of a legend or competitor but didn't wan

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »