F1 » Whitmarsh: Drivers should be free to race

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh says drivers should be free to race in F1 and not forced to follow team orders

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Me - Unregistered

March 28, 2013 11:23 PM

I can sign myself under his words, F1 is not a team sport.
No team orders allowed, just pure sport and racing.

This is how it should be but unfortunatelly isn't.
There should be many changes made in the regulations.
They should solve this problem.

FreeJack - Unregistered

March 28, 2013 11:42 PM

I suspect McLaren will be inviting Webber to talk about 2014, later this season...and this "let the racers race" attitude would have to be a major selling point, for him.

This debate can go on and on and all comes down to who is your favorite driver. Are you a fan of Mark or Sebastian? This silly incident should not have happened, but let us all be realistic and have a look at the 2 driver's track records. How many wins?, How many Pole positions?, and how many championships won?.
I know a good driver when I see one.

Pole Position - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 2:45 AM

Whitmarsh should stay out of Redbull business and tend to his own team. He's looking very old nowadays. The abysmal Mclaren season is starting to take it's toll. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

ciran - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 3:30 AM

Whitmarsh chooses the passive strategy as team principal. It would make sense if at least in losing the constructors, his strategy yielded a title for one of his drivers. They won nothing and he is comfortable with that? The team principal may have to make a judgement call, perhaps unscripted as the race develops. This seems to be what Brawn did and ultimately had the driver in Nico who grudgingly respects this hierarchy. Vettel may be intoxicated with his own amazing success.

limey

March 29, 2013 4:19 AM

I think that the real issue is not who you support but the fact that a direct team order was ignored. If your head of department instructs you to carry out a task which he/or she considers in the interest of the company you carry outthat instruction, if you do not then you face disciplinary action or even dismissal. Like it or not F1 is a gigantic commercial enterprise and as long as this continues the team mangement will continue to call the shots. Sad but true in a sport we all avidly follow.

bob - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 6:24 AM

For all the people moaning that Whitmarsh,s approach is dumb and that he should favour one driver over another so they can at least win a drivers title.

I take it most of you are Hamilton fanboys who believe that he should have had priority over Button and that Jenson should have been backing Hamilton up.

Well please enlighten how exactly you would have liked Button to help Hamilton? I mean, the best Hamilton could do in the 3 years together with Button was 4th in the WDC. Do you think Button should have magically given Hamilton 3 places in the WDC?

The simple fact is, in the last 3 years Button was the only McLaren driver to even come close to the WDC. So I guess you all mean that Hamilton should have been backing up Button?

e36L

March 29, 2013 6:56 AM

call Me A Coward, A Cheat, Disloyal, But If I Were In SV's shoes, I Would Have Done The Same. Think About It, He's A Hot-Foot, And I Can Totally understand Having An Agreement Beforehand Stating WhoeveR Comes Out Of The Final Pit First Gets To Win. Seeing As They Were So Incredibly Close At MW Pit Exit, i Could Imagine SV Thinking He Could Set A Better Initial Pace As His Tyres Were Already Up To Temp And They Were Side By Side, And When MW Put Up A Fight, Red mist Ensued. I Don't Blame Him, And I'm Proud Of Him. That Was The Most Exciting Part Of the Race.
Ps. I Hate This Phone, It Automatically Puts Caps On Every Word!

oldtimer - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 9:09 AM

I agree but if a team runs two equal drivers or NO1's there will alway's come a time when the team has to make a decision especially if it is for the championship. If things are that close the drivers will always go for the win no matter what, is'nt that what racing is all about?

« 1 2 3 4 5  »