F1 » Ecclestone: Vettel correct to ignore team orders

Bernie Ecclestone: I always say, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Sebastian is not a loser. Sebastian is a winner

richard

March 29, 2013 6:25 PM

shaken. in fangios days, racing was totally different. a driver could win in any car, so swapping cars was not uncommon. and a lot of the handing over of a car were done totally on a voluntay basis. collins handed over his car to fangio, , destroying his own wdc and handing the title to fangio. the team did not ask for such a change.
but there was a merc driver who was once ordered in to hand over his car, and was so upset, he never drove in a gp again

FreeJack - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 6:34 PM

This would be why Bernie doesn't run an F1 team. What difference does it make? You need to keep BOTH of your drivers happy and productive, in order to win a constructor's championship. Everyone needs to be on the same page. When one driver follows the team's instruction and the other does not, and it costs driver A the win...that is a sure fire way to create a LOT of internal strife.

All Ecclestone cares about is the exposure and $$...managing the drivers is someone else's job. So his opinion doesn't mean a whole lot.

carmietriumph - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 6:35 PM

Bernie I know your getting old but I'm sure you can remember back to when you owned Brabham you would have sacked a drive for ignoring team orders!, nothing to do with Vettel being his golden boy!.

Jim - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 6:57 PM

thats grand but its not fair to mark when he was told to mind his tires and he turned down his engine if mark knew Vettle was going to do that he would had pulled away as he did at the start of the race when vettle said mark was too slow a lap later mark was a half a second faster than Vettle.

JeffS86

March 29, 2013 7:27 PM

I think, having had the opportunity to think about it for a while, what bothers me the most is not that Vettel overtook Webber, or even that he ignored team orders, but the management of the situation from the team. I certainly don't think we will get the opportunity to see the telemetry to know without a doubt which engine setting each car was on (my guess would be that Webber had turned his down) but Webbers engineer should have alerted him that Vettel was coming, and the gap was closing down (maybe he did, I don't know - but based on the history at RBR between these two, if I were webber and knew Vettel was coming, I'd have turned my engine back up to make sure he couldn't close the gap so easily).

F1Racer - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 7:38 PM

Richard and Gweed, you claim I must have been in Webbers car for reasons unknown but you seem to be just as sure that Webber turned his engine up despite no evidence of that known to the public.
It seems I once again have to repeat myself. I have no problem with actual hard racing. Its what F1 should be about. But team orders exist and should be obeyed. Its the team that pays the dirvers salaries. What if Vettel had taken both cars out again like he did last time? Would he still have been right? Cos Red Bull certainly wouldnt think so, thats common sense.
Racing is all well and good but not when you mug your team mate who, like yourself, has been told to turn the engine down and hold station.
Vettel is a petulant child and I wish Webber would have run him off the road to teach the little upstart a lesson. But you seem to think disobeying your boss, your teams wishes and mugging your team mate is just fine and dandy.
It would stand to reason Webber had his engine turned down because

F1VET - Unregistered

March 29, 2013 7:57 PM

Seems to me like all these disappointed alonso and mclaren fans are trying to redirect attention away from their teams, vettel didnt hit some body on lap one then choose not to pit and dnf, vettel decided to race and with 11 laps to go I dont see the problem especially since he was neck and neck with mw on the last pit stops.... If vettels biggest mistake in malaysia was winning ill take that any weekend....

No one points out the fact it was mw 200th gp, or vettel was pulling away .5 second per lap after he made the pass, before he slowed down crossing the start/finish line he was 6.8 seconds up on webber, in my opinion he made webber and the team look like *****s..

Vettel would have dominated the entire race if the team didnt have him pit so early on slicks.

All in all a slew of mistakes from every team, if dwelling on redbulls makes you feel better about your team GROW UP, THIS IS F1!

richard

March 29, 2013 8:31 PM

f1racer. no, i didnt say you were in webbers car, nor did i say the he turned the engine up. but i did query how he was able to keep up with vettel and in fact post a faster lap time, IF his engine was turned down. that would be physically impossible. and i have also said that the ONLY people who know the state of tune in either car, are rbr themselves. this is why i question those who KNOW that webbers engine was turned down.
in this whole incident, there are THREE people at fault. Vettel, webber and horner. to try and attribute blame to any one is ridiculous and pointless, but that will not stop some.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »