F1 » Button: I can still be champion

Jenson Button says he feels confident of being able to challenge for the F1 title despite a tough start for McLaren

maglalako - Unregistered

April 02, 2013 5:49 PM

I don't think Button is a top 5 guy in F1 but anything is possible. It's a long season and Mclaren has the resources to develop the new car. Who knows? Everyone thought that Lewis and Merc would be nowhere this year, well........lookie, lookie. Anything is possible.

nymad - Unregistered

April 02, 2013 6:12 PM

Really...?
Points for optimism, but I think the only way he could ever win another championship is if McLaren built a modern day MP4-4 for him...Even then, I'd pick Perez to lead him home on points just like Hamilton has for two of the last three seasons.
He is a good driver, but not a great driver and unfortunately for him he has to compete with the modern day exceptional drivers - Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton.

Salan

April 02, 2013 6:19 PM

A bit odd that Jenson feels compelled to state "I can still be champion" at such an early stage. Only two races in and he feels the need to remind us that he is still in the running. At this juncture I doubt anybody would disagree as anything is possible at such an early stage. It's a development race so calm down Jenson, we know you still have a chance, no need to vocalise it. Unless of course you doubt it yourself and need to vocalise it to remind yourself. Either way I hope you are in the running because the more possibilities of contenders the greater the F1 show.

kma - Unregistered

April 02, 2013 7:10 PM

kma: I can still win the lottery.

In theory it's possible, in reality it's extremely unlikely.

However, you absolutely must have this kind of attitude if you want to get anywhere in life.

Good luck to him.

Arthur - Unregistered

April 02, 2013 7:22 PM

Well, I don't think Jenson has put a foot wrong, so far. The car is clearly below par, but improving quickly. Jenson is quite capable of fighting his corner(s).. I certainly would not bet my house against him........
Does not matter who is in the car, they still need a reliable quick machine.
Look at Lotus, unbeatable the first race , but nowhere during the second . No, Jenson will cut it.

Buzz45

April 02, 2013 7:31 PM

@ salan
The Daily Mirror asked Button the question, that is why he said it. Not that complicated is it? Do you honestly think he would have given a negative answer so early in the season? Despite what all the knockers on here may say, Button beat Barrichello in an equal car when he won the championship and Rubens was capable of beating Schumi when he was allowed to. The Brawn lacked development in the latter part of the season so he did not have a car advantage like some recent champions, e.g. Vettel, have had. Watch out for a load of disagrees on here although I am stating fact :-)

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »