F1 » Pirelli open to reviewing tyres?

Pirelli won't bow to pressure from individual teams, but may yet instigate its own evaluation of this year's F1 rubber.

Sri - Unregistered

April 03, 2013 7:34 PM

Pirelli (or FIA) is trying to make the viewing better by introducing an element of surprise. Definitely they managed to do that. But is this racing? It is questionable.
When we have fuel-saving mode, no overtaking a team-mate order, give a place to your team-mate order, DRS gimmick to counter dirty air issue in F1: I would say save-the-tire is much rosier than these features. So if you would like to "clean-up" the sport to have proper racing, I would start looking at those first.
Also this year, I think RB and Vettel would run away to the title like in 2011 if not for the tires. So the whole field is now almost even. They should have designed the car well although they knew that this year tires are going to be softer. RB goofed up ...it is not that they are always right and the sport should make them appear so. But they and others will get over this tire issue soon and everything will become quiet. Just like last year.

Ptolemy - Unregistered

April 03, 2013 11:35 PM

Actually its the opposite. Let me give my version of a title for this story...
"Pirelli look to redesigning tires to cripple Red Bull because the 'Smart Phone Generation' needs to be kept excited, as per request by the FIA."

Ptolemy - Unregistered

April 03, 2013 11:40 PM

I expect the FIA has told Pirelli to identify Red Bull's tire weakness and exploit it to let someone different win the titles. Thats exactly what they did to Schumi in 2005-2006. They knew Bridgestone would struggle trying to make a tire last the whole race against Michelin and it worked. It made Alonso a 2 time champion and Michael a 7 instead of a 9 time champion.
I could see them going after Seb this way. The boy has won too much for them to stand. And all the Red Bull technology they've outlawed thus far hasn't kept Adrian and Seb down.

Eugenio Herrmann - Unregistered

April 04, 2013 1:12 AM

I was thinking to say a lot of things about the current F1 tyres but it is not worth. The only thing I will say is "I really miss Bridgestone F1 tyres" because today F1 is just a contest of pit stops".

redcarfan - Unregistered

April 04, 2013 5:46 AM

It is sad to see that F1 has degenerated into a continuing story about tires. No other formula or series has such a focus on the tires.
The last story of any race should be about the tires yet, here we are with nothing but tire stories.
Very, very sad.

Amigo - Unregistered

April 04, 2013 9:22 PM

The best option for Pirelli is leaving Formula One altogether.
Pirelli is risking it image by entering to F1 Tyre supplier. Most of F1 Fans see Pirelli Tyerv is awful.
Every race you can see Marbles on all over the track.
I won't buy Pirelli Tyres again because I have had Pirelli P7 Tyres on my car. They gone very quickly less than 20,000 km.
Now I stick to Bridgestone they are expensive but very reliable and traction is excellent too.

« 1 2