F1 » Wolff aims for Young Driver Test

Susie Wolff says she hopes to be able to take part in the latest F1 Young Driver Test later this year

Owen Hamilton - Unregistered

April 10, 2013 10:52 AM

They should rename it the Inexperienced Driver Test rather than the Young Driver Test as I wouldn't really call 30 young to be honest, anyway it would be interesting to see how she does.

Wade - Unregistered

April 10, 2013 1:06 PM

Well, she has the connections. Oh wait, he left the team.

But yeah, doesn't 30 sound a little old for the Young Driver Test?

I don't know much about her, but is it actually true that she got into F1 because of her husband? Because looking at her results in racing for the last 7 years she hasn't really stood out.

But these days some drivers get into F1 without results.

D-Fuct - Unregistered

April 10, 2013 2:09 PM

Mm. 30 wasn't an unusual debut age a few years back but now 23 seems to be old. vdG is an acient 27 for god's sake! Sadly I think she's 5-8 years too late for this stage - been off the single seater ladder for too long. I know PDR came the same route but he did it off a DTM title. I'd love for her to do well cos she is really nice and I see absolutely no reason for women not to race F1 cars - I'm just not convinced she's shown that level of quality. I hope she proves me wrong!

richard

April 10, 2013 2:15 PM

susie says she is AIMING..., not that she WILL be driving. Aspirations are all very well, but she is only where she is in williams, thanks to hubby, NOT on any skill. i think that there would be a number of females who would qualify more, for such a test.

andrew2k

April 10, 2013 10:17 PM

It would be nice if she could a seat, but to be realistic her chances are good as Elena Myers getting a seat on a prototype MotoGP bike because in the end I think teams, let alone sponsors would want an individual who run the greatest chance of running the in back.

Another thing to consider, at 30 that is a bit too old for one to make a make top-level debut. If anything, I would say her chances are much in either NASCAR or Indycar.

@D-Fuct

Nobody is really saying that she shouldn't get a chance, however when you look at the current circumstances e.g. sponsors, economic state of the sport and things of that nature one must question her wisdom/intensions.

oldtimer - Unregistered

April 11, 2013 9:40 AM

She seems very nice but being very nice and being 30 years old does'nt in my view qualify you for an F1 drive. She achieved nothing in the DTM and as she is driving for a midfield team her chances are minimal to say the least. I would love a woman to get a top F1 drive but it would have to be on merit alone. I don't see it happening in the near future because woman F1 drivers usually get picked because of who they know and because it's good publicity for the team, and at the end of the day what is driving for a midfield or worse team going to do for their career, precisely nothing because they will be dropped like a stone when it becomes apparent that they cannot hack it which will be after the first couple of races.