F1 » F1 China 2013: Alonso master of strategies in Shanghai

Fernando Alonso put in a perfect display of race craft in Shanghai, the Ferrari driver ten seconds clear of Kimi Raikkonen at the climax of the 2013 Chinese GP

vincent - Unregistered

April 14, 2013 8:37 PM

they now only race on the final stint. Before it's all artificial, Kimi understood there was no need to fight for places in order to save tires last year, and so does everyone this year. F1 is great but something felt strange this time.

jim crint - Unregistered

April 14, 2013 9:05 PM

@oldmosis - I'm not a Hamilton hater but seeing a driver going backwards in a race is never exciting to me.

Ok, I take it back. Apologies. But so many times posters on here only mention Lewis to then compare and denigrate Button. I think all the drivers on the grid are fair game for criticism, and that's how it should be but this idea that only four drivers in F1 are worthy of praise seems to have taken root, and I just don't agree with it.

And I just don't agree with these tyres either. It's gone beyond the pale and is turning F1 into a laughing stock.

FiatBater - Unregistered

April 14, 2013 9:22 PM

Perfectly run last session from Hamilton. An inch is as good as a mile - why beat the car up just to finish further ahead.

Another great race from Kimi.

Hopefully that's Webbers bad luck for the entire season out of the way but probably not judging from the rate that the RB team is unravelling.

Oldmosis

April 14, 2013 9:43 PM

@ Jim Crint - Yes it is disappointing to see a driver going backwards, but if he loses to the better driver on the day (and Raikkonen was the better driver of the two today, even with a damaged nose) then fair enough.

As I said previously, the four driver I mentioned I thought were most worthy of praise today. Not to take anything away from any of the others.

The tyre situation is crazy, and I think all of us agree on that. But as we know, it's the FIA's specs that Pirelli make them to.

John - Unregistered

April 14, 2013 10:12 PM

" i am not a fan of alonso, but i do think that he drove a good race"

I think he drove a good race too. But that's all - a good race. Nothing deserving of the extravagant praise being heaped on him in the article. He did not win the race through "race craft" any more than Seb won at Abu Dhabi in 2010 through race craft. He was a fast and error free driver in the best car of the Chinese GP.

Chris - Unregistered

April 14, 2013 10:40 PM

Even Alonso admitted that he was only having to drive at about 80%, and when told over team radio not to push he replied " I'm not pushing ".
So a good race from him, but as he himself indicated, nothing to get too excited about.
Today was not much more than tyres & DRS. Nothing approaching flat out except maybe Vettel's last two laps.

John - Unregistered

April 14, 2013 10:58 PM

This was a poor race, as Australia and Malaysia were as well. Not the drivers fault - these tyres are a bad joke. But there has been very little real racing in the first three GP's.

shaken - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 1:35 AM

Never saw the race (and wouldnt have wanted to) but the story, weekend and outcome tells all. Sad times in F1 and I wouldnt be involved in any way for all the money in the world. I just wouldnt be interested.

Googolplex

April 15, 2013 4:08 AM

If Seb's attempt to claim third place from Lewis at the end wasn't real racing then I've got to say, I don't mind this unreal racing.

All teams have to deal with the tyre issues and how they cope with and exploit those issues only adds to the intrigue in my opinion.

richard

April 15, 2013 7:38 AM

john. alas the headline above says it all "alonso the master of strategies". would it not have been more acceptal to purists if the headline turned out to be "alonso winner of RACE". i think that we all want a RACE with the fastest car/driver combo winning, without the intervention of artificial obstacles?

good to see that fia/pirelli are at last going to improve the tyre situation by making them last longer and providing more tyres for practice.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7  »