F1 » ‘Clued up’ Lotus avoids repeat of Shanghai tyre surprise

Despite damage to his car, Kimi Raikkonen avoided a dramatic tyre-related drop down the order in the Chinese Grand Prix.

kgf - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 11:37 AM

In recent years, we have seen a couple of times where a car lost significant parts of its front wing and continued to race, seemingly undisturbed. I am wondering what the sense of all the complicated front wing structure is when it seems that it would be possible to drive with a much simpler structure. I wonder why doesn't FIA ban such constructions? Allow a simple front wing, single component, no endplates, and no additional structures. Surely this would also save some cost, reduce on-track debris, and let the teams concentrate on things that would end up making a difference.

Alex - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 4:58 PM

Pity the team didn't listen to Kimi and got him to start on a different set up. We could have had a more interesting fight for the top spot yesterday.

Kimi has had his share of bad luck in his F1 career, but he never whines or blame the team for not giving him a better car. No mind games or politics. A class act.

Hope Lotus can continue to improve as the season progress. Would be great to see him beat Alonso this year.

Thanos1973

April 15, 2013 7:52 PM

Definition of class act... Pure superiority of character with no childish need of excuses even in obvious circumstances to blame... It's better with just a single w.c. in hands but crystall in character than a "victim" of numbers but full of blames and excuses for the sake of a "succesfull" image...

Tealeaf - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 11:33 PM

Kimi certainly has the raw speed and racecraft to beat Alonso, does Lotus have the resources and ability to keep pace with Ferrari development? Possibly, but the problem is whilst Kimi is no doubt a slightly faster driver than Alonso, he has never been able to outsmart him over a course of the season, also Alonso's consistency and race pace is frightening, and for that I'd giver Alonso the edge over a season in similar pace cars, but do them 2 and Hamilton have what it takes to beat Vettel/Newey combo? No.

Livemusik

April 16, 2013 1:13 AM

@Tealeaf

In terms of pure speed, I agree, Kimi is faster, but I think Raikkonen's consistency is better than Alonso's coming back to F1. He did fizzle out towards the end of last season, but I think that was because Lotus were losing the development race. I also don't think he capitalised in the first few races due to rustiness, before the dev race properly started in Europe.

Alonso is a better all rounder in that he makes the best of a bad situation. He is also I think more aggressive when it comes to overtaking than Raikkonen. The DNF's are what cost him last year.

Kimi is definitely looking better this year, as is Alonso, but Red Bull won the development race last year and that won them the title, I wonder if the same will hold true this year.

Tealeaf - Unregistered

April 16, 2013 3:14 AM

I don't agree that Kimi is more consistent and I also don't agree that Alonso is more aggresive or as skilled at overtaking, ok Kimi was a bit rusty last season and the move on Vettel at Bahrain was a bit passive, also the pass on Hamilton at Valencia seemed like the conservative way but Kimi is passed that now and I see signs of his old self, like for example the way he overtook Fisichella at Suzuka 2005, in that same race Alonso done a just as daring move on Schumi I think they're equal in that respect, they're close and are 2 of the main contenders. Also as much as I dislike Hamilton I have to admit he will be there or there abouts as I believe he is even faster than Kimi over 1 lap, but anyone who dismisses Vettel and say all his wins are because of Newey are either in denial or a fool, most of you are not stupid and you know deep down if you put him Alongside Alonso he would be too much for Fernando to handle, RBR and Vettel's tactics are pacing themselves and save engines then co

prof-x - Unregistered

April 16, 2013 5:12 AM

I dunno, I would say Kimi and Lewis probably have the best eye hand foot coordination out of everyone else in the field. Alonso is Ferrari's testamento, he should have won last year despite the poor car (Pirelli) and if he doesnt win this year, he will probably be lucky to ever get the chance again. I will be shocked if he doesnt clean up this year. It's just Ferrari's year to lose frankly, & even if Red Bull are quicker, they wont get the same performance out of the tires, ... mmmm, pretty sure.

Tom Riddle - Unregistered

April 16, 2013 5:37 AM

@kfg
The front wing doesn't only provide downforce, it also channels air into the brake ducts and around the car for aerodynamics. Although they certainly could run with a simple front wing it would take a lot of aero redesigning and wind tunnel testing to achieve the downforce and cooling they have currently.

1 2  »