F1 » Stirling Moss: Women 'lack mental aptitude' for F1

"I don't know if they've got the mental aptitude to race hard, wheel-to-wheel," says British F1 legend.

sodesu

April 15, 2013 8:53 PM

I think Taipan is dead right here - Sir Moss' comments reflect the time he was raised in.

Personally I don't see this as a real debate even, there are examples that they can indeed even if it has yet to happen in F1. Michele Mouton is probably the best yet. Danica did win in Indy, Simona De Silvestro is doing even better I reckon, but so far the really top drivers have yet to deliver on their promise.

Simona for me is the most interesting name at the moment, a genuine talent and very impressive considering she's in a new team but has performed very well against her experienced teammate. She also impressed me with how she just got on with it and did the best she could with the hopeless Lotus engine. She often managed to squeeze every last drop out of it, every time she managed to qualify ahead of someone with a better engine is a bit of a victory really - and she often did.

Also I think the new Red Bull academy driver Beitske Visser looks like a really hot prospect!

John - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 9:44 PM

The top people in every profession and occupation are men. This is true even in areas dominated by women, like clothes design or cooking or decorating.

We'll see a woman driver win the F1 WDC around the same time we see a woman footballer as captain for Barcelona and win the Ballon d'Or.

rod99 - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 9:48 PM

Poor old Stirling. Comes from a generatin of real talent. Unfortunatly in this day an age he's totally wrong, of course a woman could compete with these guys after all they are just the fastest very well off people in the world. This is NOT a competition of real talent anymore!!!

It was in your day Sir Stirling

Ben - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 9:58 PM

I don't think Moss is really that off here. He is only stating aloud what the majority of us thinks quietly because we fear the kind of reaction Moss is getting right now. If any team principal from the top F1 teams believes it's doable, why don't they hire one? Bernie recently lobbied to have one of the top team hire Danica, but there was no taker. In other major sports (football, golf, boxing, tennis, basketball, baseball, rugby etc.) I don't see women fighting it out with men. The ladies always have their own separate league. Why do we always thing that saying the obvious thing about ladies is being sexist? Michelle Wie tried to go against the men in Golf and was slammed by other women for even trying. Nobody complained there and there was no call for sexism.
And before you call me a sexist too, I have a simple question for you: are you ok to see a woman and a man fitting gloves and fighting it out for the WBC heavyweight or middleweight championship? if you answer yes, I can organi

Ball stowin - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 10:50 PM

A top male athlete will always beat there female counterpart end of. Just compare any world record if you require assurance. Not even worth the argument in my eyes everyone with any common sense knows this, evolution has played it's hand and we are not going to change this any time soon. Moss is entitled to his opinion maybe a little dated and the media will jump all over it but ultimately he is correct.

bjr - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 11:42 PM

Hmm let me see, women are physically the same as men but the bits develop differently due to genetics and hormone levels. I doubt too may would argue that point.

But the same female brain that's wired up to find men attractive performs no differently in other areas in general than the male brain that's wired up to find women attractive?

I'm a man, I find women attractive (not other men) and that's not the only difference in how my brain works compared to the women I've spent time with.

piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

April 15, 2013 11:51 PM

OK knock Stirling for good old fashioned sexism, BUT, consider the major sport where males and females compete on an equal footing, a sport very similar to F1 in combining humans with something non-human - horse-riding, in all its forms. Despite the sport at club level being populated 150-1 in favour of females, despite a positive ADVANTAGE in the female physique, males STILL prevail (just). So there MUST be something other than physique at play.

LJ - Unregistered

April 16, 2013 12:46 AM

I think we will be waiting many years before there is a female GP winner because it is a male dominated sport. As regards endurance and strain, there is no reason why a woman couldn't train to be mentally and physically prepared for Formula 1 racing.

Personally I would prefer males stick to F1 driving, because I fear there may be a circus around any women joining the sport, but I don't watch other categories that have women entering to know if that perception is true or not.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »