F1 » Hamilton: Mercedes 'can get there'

Lewis Hamilton: We just need to keep motivated and work it out together...

Taipan

May 20, 2013 8:41 PM

Richard, You might know of this story and if not I'm not sure where you'll find it on the net but look into the similarities of Ascari's death and his fathers death. I can't remember the full list but there where a whole host of similarities including surviving a potentially deadly crash days before they were killed.
I don't remember ever seeing Ascari's harbour plunge, was it on Sky?

Paul Hawkins is the only other driver that I know of who made it into the harbour, he was an Australian and possibly used to surfing so he escaped intact as well.

Ghog, Don't mention clap to the fanboys, might put them off losing their virginity! :p

Zelda - Unregistered

May 20, 2013 9:07 PM

Richard
That appraisal of the Merc suspension was indeed far more interesting.
What your saying is that they have literally a design fault in the suspension. I don't see how they can rectify it mid season. Seeing as it was also last season's problem, it doesn't really bode well.
Having said that, why can lotus make their system work so much better?
They to have a hydraulic front and rear integrated suspension system.
The cars are light years apart??
I at least thought the Germans would have the engineering nous over the French, albeit a pseudo British team.
Taipan
You know it's not an interest in your posting, that's just wishful thinking on your behalf sir. It's in the hope that you craft more interesting posts on the cars rather than the drivers.
You spend way to much time increasing your blood pressure and if not then you try to increase others. Either way, that's not interesting but 'trolling'.
I do have you down better than that.

Taipan

May 20, 2013 9:09 PM

Richard, I don't recall Bandini or Scarfiotti getting wet, but I could be wrong.

Just looked it up, Hawkins was involved in 3 GP's in '65, retired in Germany, 9th in South Africa and into the harbour at Monaco, not really a great run. Sadly he died at Oulton Park in a Tourist Trophy race in '69

Taipan

May 20, 2013 9:30 PM

Zelda, don't put me down as better than anything, you nothing about me after all.

Richard, Found some of the Ascari Jr and Sr comparisons...

Both were 36 when they were killed, Alberto on 26 May 1955, Antonio on 26 July 1925. Each won 13 grands prix, and drove car number 26. Both were killed in crashes at the exit of fast left-hand corners four days after surviving serious accidents. Both were survived by a wife and two children.

Alberto was invited to watch Castellotti practice for Monza and wasn't intending to drive, as such he left his lucky blue helmet at home. After lunch however he decided to do a few laps and borrowed Castellotti's helmet, 3 laps later he was dead. Fangio said he had lost his greatest opponent.

richard

May 20, 2013 9:36 PM

Zelda. see? we can be technical ! the difference between the merc fric and the lotus fric, is that merc also link theirs diagonally. it is a highly complicated system and everything is done by trial and error. but the management in merc is very disorganised, too many chiefs, maybe lowe can sort things out?

ty, I will have to do some research, but I seem to remember an italian Ferrari driver, other than ascari, being in the harbour. could be wrong, but I will look.

ps. no,hawkins was the second and last driver to go swimming in the med but bandini crashed into harbour wall and NEARLY had a swim but had second thoughts.

Zelda - Unregistered

May 20, 2013 9:42 PM

It comes from trying to be optimistic rather than pessimistic. Tbh Tai I don't want to know anything about you apart from F1 interests and facts concerning the teams.

Goodnight gentlemen

Taipan

May 20, 2013 9:52 PM

Nighty night Zelda.

Must have left his arm bands at home Richard.
I was reading that during the "wave incident" in 1950 Fangio noticed that the crowd weren't watching him leading the race but were watching something ahead of him, because of that he slowed down and avoided the carnage that the wave had caused.

Out of interest do you remember Alberto Ascari and if so how good was he compared to Fangio in your opinion?

richard

May 21, 2013 8:26 AM

Zelda. I wouldn't put ty down, if I were you. he is a fund of knowledge (cheque to me please ty!). and you did say that you like good debate, which we have, including a bit of light hearted banter.

ty. I was young at the time, so even though I followed f1, I was not very conversant with it then. but ascari was good,and fangio also benefited from the dreaded team orders, a fact confirmed by stirling who had to concede a number of wins, and fangio often took over others cars.
the 1957 race was also shown last night, and fangio was able to thread his way through a crash. that may have been the one you were referring to. a bit like when schumi saw an incident on the giant screens and was able to avoid it.
castelotti was also an under recognised driver.

Taipan

May 21, 2013 9:24 PM

Cheers for that Richard, the cheques in the post.

I just had a look on F1.com and there is a very well written piece on Ascari it covers a few things I didn't know. Alberto's dad and Enzo Ferrari were very good friends, Alberto and Luigi Villoresi had a business supplying fuel to the Italian army in North Africa during WW2 and an estimated 1 million people turned out for Alberto's funeral in Milan. It's well worth a read.

« 1 2 3 4