F1 » HAVE YOUR SAY: How should FIA deal with Mercedes test row?

The fall-out from Sunday's news that Mercedes and Pirelli had conducted three days of testing in Barcelona has now come to rest with the FIA, but how should the governing body react?

Adny Lloyd - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 12:45 PM

So much smoke and mirrors with this one... From what I've read so far the FIA knew about the test but then failed to administer and supervise it properly... Surely it should be the case that Pirelli should contact the FIA requesting an additional tyre test then it should be down to the FIA to arrange it with the teams and have FIA people in place at the test to ensure it's fair. The FIA should put this mess down as their own mistake and arrange for the same 1000k test to be done with all the other teams present.

Paul - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 4:47 PM

This is such a hot topic, I can't believe Mercedes along with Nikki, Ross & Toto would do anything illegal as the punishments in F1 can be severe, I believe they had an agreement with the FIA but now the FIA are running scared.

SB - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 5:38 PM

What should be done...Nothing!!! When for the past few years Red Bull has been running illegal parts or bending rules to suit their needs (or as Horner would say, making Underhanded moves) all the FIA did was ask Red Bull to remove the illegal parts or modify the design and make sure they didn't repeat the same mistake.Red Bull kept all their Constructors Points and their WDC points.After all they did get unfair advantage and as Richard mentions had a serious effect on the WCC and the WDC. So why should it be any different now?Clarify the rules, tell Merc and Pirelli not to repeat the mistake and inform all other teams that this is illegal and going forward will not be tolerated and move on.All these people claiming for Merc to be banned for 3 races or be thrown out of the championship,where were you when the current top team was pulling illegal crap.Where was the outrage?I think Horner should be the last person to cry about someone making Underhanded moves for gaining advantage,when h

SB - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 5:39 PM

contd., when he and Newey have been playing the game for so long.And before all you Red Bull fanboys jump on me for being a hater,I am not.I am just taking their example as for the past few years they are the top team and in the last few years they have been the team to be caught the most cheating.

richard

May 29, 2013 5:47 PM

sb. are you for real? there is no evidence that rbr have use an illegal part or have been cheating! they have been innovative and have stretched rules, but only the haters would even suggest that rbr were cheats.
you will find that all the top teams are looking for every loophole, and exploiting it. that is part of the game.

SB - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 5:59 PM

Dude, running flexible floor deemed illegal,having adjustable suspension deemed illegal, holes in floor for EBD effect deemed illegal,modifying engine maps,flexible wings are some of the things they have been asked to change on their car(I agree some were called as misinterpretation of the technical rules--potato potaato).Now I know due to your love for Red Bull you will come and say, but the upright and honest Christain Horner said we never got any advantage of those and even though we had adjustable ride height feature on our car we never used it. Pray tell me, why have it in the first place if there is no intention to use it?Do you think there is anything on a F1 car which is deemed useless and just their for the sake of being there?Come on Richard, you have been watching F1 long enough to know that all teams cheat (some like you call it pushing the technical regs to the limit when their favorite team or driver's team does it and some call it cheating when their team doesn't get the

SB - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 6:00 PM

contd., get the advantage--simple).Some have enough clout with Bernie and FIA to get out of it and some don't (like Max was gunning for Mclaren).But as I said the recent precedent says, nothing should be done to Merc plain and simple. FIA should just clarify the rules and move on.

richard

May 29, 2013 6:07 PM

sb. NONE of the items you mention were found to be illegal. for one of the items you mention (holes in floor) rbr had it in writing, that they were in order, but after some others asked for clarification, the fia changed their tune.

funny you make no mention of proven illegal items such as maccas bent floor (2013), maccas third pedal traction control etc etc.

SB - Unregistered

May 29, 2013 6:20 PM

Yes Richard and Red Bull just decided to either remove or make modifications to their car out of good faith and love for fair racing.Also with your last statement if you are trying to insinuate that I am a Mclaren/Merc fan or a Lewis fan then I am sorry to disappoint you, you are dead wrong.If you had read my posts,you would have noticed that I had mentioned that I am not a Red Bull hater,just that I picked their example as they have been the top team for the past few years and courted controversy the most in the recent years for bending rules. Also I did mention that all teams cheat(and yes that includes Mercedes,Mclaren etc).My point is not that Merc didn't cheat or gain unfair advantage.My point is recent precedent from FIA has been to clarify the rules and move on.So why should it be any different now?Just because other teams couldn't 'push/bend the rules to the limit' this time and the top team is one of them?

« 2 3 4 5 6 7  »