F1 » Kate Walker: The dark cloud

Kate Walker - one of the rising stars within the F1 press pack - explains how the sport can work to try and minimise the risk involved in the wake of the Canadian Grand Prix

richard

June 13, 2013 1:26 PM

hrc. did you even have a look at photos etc? the marshals were moving a stranded car and it was swinging from a teleporter. it is required that marshals have control lines to prevent the car turning whilst in the air. the marshal was ahead of the driver and to one side when his phone fell down. he bent over to retrieve and fell in front of the front wheel of the teleporter. so your points are totally superfluous.
instead of fia paying you, they should fine you for being so flippant about an unfortunate accident.

HRC

June 13, 2013 3:39 PM

On the contrary Richard, maybe YOU should look at the pictures, clearly the marshalls are using their hands, not a rope in sight!
There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be so close to working machines as guy ropes could easily be, and should have been, attached from the car to the tractor unit to stop it swinging if that would be a problem, doesn't seem to be the case here anyway.
Look at the pictures Richard, the cab is offset which would have put the marshall (on the right to the driver) in a blind spot to the driver.

Superfluous and flippant? I think not Richard.
Now go and stand in the naughty boy corner with the 'D' hat on.

richard

June 13, 2013 4:08 PM

hrc. in your haste to add to your flippancy, you seem to have overlooked to research the issue. there are plenty of photos showing the marshals holding the guide straps, just before the accident. don't go by the one photo on this page. take the time to do some research!
as for the teleporter, I can assure you that there is nothing blocking the view from the cab towards the rh front wheel. these teleporters are used on building sites and factories all over the world, and the only blind spot is to the rear.
you seem to take this whole incident in a rather unserious matter.
but as I said, don't rush in with comments before you ascertain the actual facts of the incident. it is that sort of reaction that can ultimately lead to accidents.

HRC

June 13, 2013 4:49 PM

No Richard nothing blocking the view except for a 4.5+ mtr long F1 car.
And there are plenty more photos of the marshalls using their hands rather than the 2 very short straps attatched @ the rear wheels which puts them directly infront of the Telehandler so actually validates my view and makes your points superfluous.
You need to do more research yourself and think a little before hastily trying to be so righteous but ultimately a fail.

richard

June 13, 2013 6:37 PM

hrc. I worked all my working life on investigative work, including investigation of accidents such as this on large construction sites, so I do know what I am talking about!
if you do care to spare the time, you can easily access photos of the teleporter 30 secs before the incident. the car is clearly being guided by the marshals with guys, albeit very short ones the drivers line of sight to the front was not obscured by the car as he sits relatively low and has a clear view to the front, and to the offside front wheel where the marshal is ahead of. the lowest part of the car (rear wheel) is well above the sight line of the driver too,
the radio is hanging from left knee of the marshal.
you need to use your head. a crane or any piece of machinery being driven, that does not have clear visibility, would never be allowed to operate on a construction site, and these teleporters are in use all over the world.

sad that you are prejudging an event by jumping to incorrect conclusions.

richard

June 13, 2013 6:42 PM

contd. the family of the marshal deserve a fair and proper investigation, lets hope that is what they get.

from what I have seen, heard etc, I could make an informed assessment as to what happened, but I would prefer to leave that up to the relevant authorities. and if it takes up to six months, then that is what it will take.

HRC

June 13, 2013 7:54 PM

Richard it's called a TELEHANDLER, and I've forgotten more about plant machinery than you will ever know, as it was the company I owned buisness. So please don't try and teach me to suck eggs.
They were using their hands, there were no guy ropes of sufficient length to keep the workers at a safe distance, simply short straps that put the workers in harms way, but of course you know that, given it was your buisness!

EDIT by CRASH.NET! Inappropriate comments removed.

HRC

June 13, 2013 7:55 PM

cont

I'm not prejudging I'm stating facts, we already know what happened and I've suggested measures that would prevent a recurrance and should I feel be implemented ASAP.
Do you really have such a problem comprehending?

richard

June 13, 2013 8:24 PM

hrc. I give up ! go and google the word "teleporter"!
and then go and look at the cat teleporter, then go and look at the photos. if you want to make out that what I am saying is bumpf, so be it.
funny, I have not seen one comment from you commiserating with the marshals family. instead you use such words a farce in respect of time neede to investigate fully. shame on you.

TableRock

June 13, 2013 11:06 PM

F1mate: with all due respect to the marshal and his family. This was nothing more than human error.he dropped his radio and fell while picking it up from what I understand. A 6 month investigation in my opinion can not possibly be justified as a way to prevent someone from falling. The mistake can not be blamed on anyone but him. When he dropped radio and knew he would have to lose visual contact with operator he should have made operator aware of what he was doing. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and he had no idea that he was going to fall while picking it up. But to say that a 6 month investigation is acceptable is crazy. Nothing can prevent trips and falls but what can be prevented is communication between "ground" and machinery operators. If visual contact is going to be broken it is your own responsibility to make 100% sure that the operator is aware.

« 1 2 3  »