F1 » Boullier: Red Bull 'pushing hard' for Raikkonen

Lotus team boss Eric Boullier says Red Bull are 'pushing hard' to try and do a deal that would see them pair Kimi Raikkonen with Sebastian Vettel next year - but insists that Lotus hasn't given up hope of retaining the Finn

Pau1inel

July 11, 2013 11:46 AM

As well as being a great driver (regardless of car) , Kimi knows a thing or two about saving tyres, (so does Grosjean for that matter). On this skill alone Kimi will be very useful to his team. He's in the enviable position of being first class material, AND having (presumably) a choice of options available to him. I assume he is already a millionaire (regardless of currency ), so I imagine he already has more than enough money to live comfortably after retirement (which could still be a significant number of years away, yet) Let's hope he makes the right decision.

IzoN

July 11, 2013 2:15 PM

Won't be good for him. Will be good for Red Bull Racing but not for Kimi.. He should stay put.. However reading between the lines of what was said, I think RBR will get him..

Webbertron

July 11, 2013 3:29 PM

My hopes have being for Ricciardo to get the seat, however after thinking about it for a while I realised something. If Ricciardo starts putting in better points finishes and keeps on beating his teammate, who's to say he has to go to Redbull? If he performs better he will open up his options to other teams, and if Lotus have to replace Raikkonen then they might take notice of him, maybe Ferrari might want some young blood to replace Massa? All I know is that seeing Raikkonen and Vettel in the same team would make for a very interesting season indeed.

F1Rules

July 11, 2013 3:45 PM

How do people think the negotiations are going as we speak? If only to be a fly on the wall lol

One can imagine Marko wanting to sit in on the talks, and Kimi's managers not wanting him in the room, or him pushing Horner to include a "number 2" clause in Kimi's contract. Kimi's lawyer will be reading the contract page by page with a fine tooth-comb!

MikeP

July 11, 2013 10:53 PM

While I would love to see Kimi succeed at Lotus, I do not think he is of a mind to wait around until they get it together. I agree with runnah on this. Kimi will go where he has the best chance to win. A car designed by Newey will get him that in the near term.
Personally, I do not think that Vettel and Marko can team-up on Kimi. He just does not care and he is a natural fit for the Red Bull and the image that Dietrich Mateschitz wants.....in my opinion.

nymad

July 12, 2013 9:30 PM

I think it is very unlikely that Kimi will go to RBR, despite all the hype... He seems to be a considerably loyal person when he sees potential (take those years with McLaren, for instance). Plus, he has experienced Ferrari and all the obligations - why would he go back to that? Ricciardo will be in the RBR next year, not Kimi.

« 1 2 3 4  »