F1 » Fernley: Force India hit by tyre change

Bob Fernley says Force India has lost out as a result of the tyre changes introduced by Pirelli

Dreaduk

July 14, 2013 8:06 PM

@richard - I should have qualified my weight statement with 'meaningful'. They manage the issue in Moto2 quite well without ridiculous scandals about water ballast and heavy jackets. As for exhausts, if they introduced a tested, aerodynamically neutral body at the beginning of the season, for the season, exhaust shenanigans wouldn't occur. Besides, if the exhaust has no meaningful effect on airflow then why would they bother, better to concentrate on engines, suspension.......even bl**dy tyres! But then I often think of a friend of mine who reckoned the reason goal line technology hasn't been introduced to football until now is because the more the controversy, the more the attention and therefore column inches. F1 is a bit the same nowadays......column inches.

richard

July 14, 2013 9:52 PM

a little off topic, but related to proper racing...watching the 1976 season of hunt v lauda..to see the bravery of lauda, is absolutely amazing. I remember it at the time, but to be reminded of it was a bit tough. sad to see that even then, macca were not averse to a bit of skulduggery....wide car, illegal fuel, short cuts etc.

Taipan

July 14, 2013 10:17 PM

Well said Richard. I just watched the program as well. Lauda's accident is what made me aware of F1 as a 5 year old nipper.
I've always felt that it was a joke to call it a great rivalry, Lauda was head and shoulders above Hunt. Hunt got close to Lauda for one season thanks only to Niki's adversity. I hadn't realised that Niki had also suffered broken ribs earlier in the season.
1 point in it after, broken ribs, 5 weeks out after an almost fatal accident and retiring due to safety reasons in Japan. Niki was in a different league to Hunt.

Dreaduk

July 15, 2013 9:55 AM

@Richard & Taipan - A brilliant expose of F1 when it was a developing sport. Lauda was amazing and JH was really the best of the rest. At any other time he would probably have won more world titles (and that's really saying something with the grid at the time, Andretti, Jones and Emo amongst others) but Lauda was King although to further risk his life after his accident was in my opinion, a step too far. I remember him retiring from the Japanese GP and the hysteria that gripped the whole country, not even JYS had the coverage Hunt got that year. One big reminder was the influence of the TV sponsors, compelling the officials to start the race despite the conditions, and drivers contracted to drive despite their natural reservations. Sadly from that perspective, things haven't changed much. The show must go on.

Taipan

July 15, 2013 10:53 AM

Dread, Going back to your earlier aero post, of which I agree with much of it, I've been an advocate of bringing back ground effects for years.
When it was around in the 80's it was undoubtedly dangerous but it would be more understood these days and could be managed better.
Limited ground effects, no wings and fat tyres would guarantee close racing and overtaking, no need for gimmicks like DRS and KERS.

Dreaduk

July 15, 2013 10:55 AM

Just had a look at the season stats and Hunt wasn't lucky, he won the season fair and square in my opinion. Wins (Hunt 6, Lauda 5) Poles (Hunt 8, Lauda 3) Accidents (Hunt 3, Lauda 3 - I have included Austrian and Dutch as his inability to race were attributable to the accident) Mechanical failure (Hunt 3, Lauda 1) Disqualified (Hunt 1, Lauda 0) Withdrew (Hunt 0, Lauda 1). So then look at the races the two actually competed head to head in, S.A., Spain, Sweden, Canada and USA (East) and Hunt has 35 points at the end of the season to Lauda's 23. Perhaps oversimplistic but interesting.

Taipan

July 15, 2013 11:07 AM

Lauda scored 7 points after his accident, during the same period Hunt scored 43 points. Seems to me that Lauda clearly struggled after the accident and didn't fully recover for some time.
Without the 'Ring crash I don't think the season would have been remotely close.

« 1 2