F1 » Ricciardo pleased with Red Bull 'audition'

Daniel Ricciardo declares himself pleased with his performance during his afternoon of running with Red Bull Racing at Silverstone

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Murph64

July 19, 2013 9:07 AM

I would like to see DR take MWs drive as that's the whole point of a junior team to train younger drivers for the main team!! They need to stick with youth which has worked in the past. However another Aussie in that seat just maybe da jar vu all over again.???

Mustafur

July 19, 2013 9:55 AM

New blood should have a chance to prove themselves, I think Ricciardo is only going to improve and with a strong team, worse case scenario they have a number 2 driver who can collect points and help for the constructors.

I think he has the ability to stick the bull on the front row a few times if he is given the chance and thats half the work done.

justadrifter

July 19, 2013 1:43 PM

i wanna see vettel to be challenged by his future team mate, to see the true potential that he has, just curious. honestly up to now i think RBR has the best car, so the biggest factor contributing to RBR's success is the car and not his talent. my respect to ricciardo, but im expecting kimi to bring the challenge to vettel.

LoveF1

July 19, 2013 1:49 PM

Also, if RBR were clever, they would retain Mark in some capacity for his technial knowhow as a driver of the car for many years - especially if they sign the junior driver instead of Kimi.

Mark Webber is a class act. Always has been, though he may not have been the fastest out there. So yes, he can drive for Porsche in Le Mans or wherever it is, but he can still be of great value to the Red Bull brand worldwide. DM would want that, but Helmut Marko might get in the way of it happening.

Taipan

July 19, 2013 2:25 PM

I find it strange that RBR are torn between choosing Kimi and Ricciardo. I'd understand if they were torn between JEV and Ricciardo, similar age and experience but Kimi?
It's a bit like going to a restaurant and saying "well I'm torn between the steak teriyaki and a ham sandwich"

Before anyone gets upset I'm not having a go at Ricciardo, seems like a decent young chap and he's shown some promise. I just find putting Kimi and him on a short list odd.

1Jez

July 19, 2013 2:45 PM

Taipan - I'm a Ricciardo fan, but I understand what you're saying. I don't think it's a question of talent, Raikonnen clearly has that is spades, but one of the best business case long term.

I posted on another story a hypothesis that Raikonnen may not be there in two or three years' time, whereas Ricciardo likely would be. It may be smarter to contract Ricciardo long term than to get Raikonnen now and then have to look for another driver again in only a couple of years. It may not be the case, but it's a theory.

Taipan

July 19, 2013 3:04 PM

Jez, I'd love to see Kimi at RBR as it would be an interesting fight between him and Seb, but I don't think RBR need 2 number one drivers it generally only causes trouble.
Their formula of having a lead driver works, no need to change things, so Ricciardo would make sense to me. Also if he turns out to be the real deal he can take over when Seb goes to Ferrari in a few years. In addition there's no point running a junior team if you don't give them a chance at the big time.

benignlyindifferent

July 19, 2013 9:04 PM

I question if RB is truly torn with their decision. I believe Kimi is their guy, IF, they can make a deal. If not, they want to know how well Ricciardo goes, I think. Seb's final stint was very impressive and he gapped everyone, but he is a current F1 driver and we do not know the fuel on board. I think RB want the best two drivers. Period. If they can get Kimi, great. If not, is Ricciardo the man. That is what this test hopefully sorted out for them.

JJ9871011

July 19, 2013 11:00 PM

Agree with Tai. While I would love to see KR wipe the floor with SV, DR i believe would move into the team probably very smoothly. Also as I have been saying for a while now, why have a junior around to groom young talent if you're not going to let them take a shot at the senior team.

Side note - I think Buemi is probably just beside himself since he is the RBR's reserve and he's not even being considered. Also Alguersuari is probably too. Guess it's all about timing and opportunity, problem is they have to align at the same time.