F1 » Austrian Grand Prix to return to F1 fold

Austria regains F1 grand prix, Red Bull Ring to stage race on July 6 2014

Filter Comments: All | Registered

1Jez

July 24, 2013 7:52 AM

@Mark - an old track does not automatically equate to a good track. At least Monza has some chicanes and Parabolica - Red Bull Ring is all constant radius turns separated by straights.

Similarly, a good race event does not necessarily mean a good track. Monaco is brilliant because of the location, atmosphere and sense of occasion, but the track is rubbish in terms of racing. Don't get me wrong, it's damn impressive watching an F1 car drive Monaco at full tilt, but the race itself is always a procession.

I'll not have this Korea bashing, that track has already produced some great racing, particularly in sector 2. Agree completely on Bahrain, however.

All I'm saying is that based purely on the layout and not having watched an Austrian GP, it looks like it will be a snooze-fest and I can't see the attraction. Please, feel free to politely explain otherwise.

JohnMarston

July 24, 2013 8:00 AM

I'm pretty happy about this. I do like the track. I just hope we don't loose any classic race to make way for it. I personally dont think F1 needs 2 American races and all those in the desert. Wasn't there talks of Qatar gp as well. another boring race like Bahrain.

richard

July 24, 2013 2:23 PM

jez. are you sure that you ae not looking at the salzburgring? I woulnt condem it until you have seen a race there. there are fast curves and slow curves. have a look at he dtm race there and you may have a better idea of what its like. all very well having multiple hairpins etc, but f1 cars have to race on all layouts. roll on Austria!

john. personally I do not bemoan two races in usa. it is a very big continent and for a world series, it merits a couple of races per year. now compare that to spain where there are normally two races in a small country.
I think that bahrain was quite a good race this year.
I like Monaco, but it is probably the most pointless race in the calendar. I know it may be called a classic, but is there any real point to it? there are a number of old classics that have, alas , vanished, but unfortunately the commercial requirements have caused these to be dropped.

Mark _

July 24, 2013 2:33 PM

@1Jez - Perhaps you should do a quick search on YouTube to see what makes this track special. Chicanes are what you like about Monza, really? As far as Korea it has some good features but the last sector is just wonky and dangerous.

« 1 2