F1 » Vettel: It's only Friday

Sebastian Vettel: There are a few things we still need to do to optimise the car, as there are two or three corners where we are sliding more than we would like.

richard

September 06, 2013 8:03 PM

mark. ??????? you should know by now that I dismiss fp times, as they are just practice. even pole is not something that concerns me either. only the race matters.

however, I am glad to see that seb is of the same mind!

ps I am honoured that you are concerned about me!

Mark _

September 06, 2013 8:25 PM

richard - but Vettel has said that it will be close so apparently like Taz he does consider the practice times somewhat. All in good fun just like your comments towards the other posters.

Mark _

September 06, 2013 9:22 PM

Like Taz said, it should be "interesting". No harm in that.

We are all fans of the series. In my opinion the continuous petty nitpicking is verging on bullying. I realize that people like to blow off steam on here but it is a bit much at times. There I have said my piece. Enjoy the race this weekend (and ignore practice and qualifying since it does not matter).

Objective

September 07, 2013 12:18 AM

As usual the RBR cars are slowest through the speed traps. They will have to stay out of DRS range during the race or they will be sitting ducks. Vettel knows this and is probably planning the best way to get away in front and keep a healthy buffer.

Ptolemy

September 07, 2013 8:53 AM

I'd say the only reason they have slow trap speeds is because they are putting enough rear wing on the car to GUARANTEE they can come out of the corners quicker and lay the power down sooner than EVERYONE else. I'm thinking that the deal with the rake angle and the exhaust sealing the diffuser, along with a lot of rear wing will allow them to pour the power on coming out of the corners. This will allow them to get far enough ahead that even the others can't catch them even with DRS. But what do I know?
In other words, the rake, exhaust, diffuser, and medium wing setting makes a lot more downforce on the Red Bull than ANYONE else at low to medium speeds on this track. But top speed is down.

Ptolemy

September 07, 2013 8:57 AM

Listen to me trying to act like I even have the slightest understanding of what goes on in Adrian Newey's mind.
The bottom line is that Newey has finally figured out what he can do with the car with the new rules that will allow him to destroy the competition again.
...Apparently.