F1 » Hamilton: F1 can succeed in the USA

Lewis Hamilton insists that F1 can be a success in America as he looks ahead to his second race at the Circuit of the Americas

KevinW

September 25, 2013 5:46 PM

Open wheel racing in the USA has never been, and will likely never be a big deal. The vast majority of racing here is based on metal boxes with doors or motorcycles. Even in the SCCA, Spec Racer Ford and Spec Miata sport full grids, while open wheel classes are sparse. The only open wheel classes that have traction here are on dirt tracks, which has zero relevance to F1. That said, there are enough F1 fans here to make a couple of races a success. Just don't expect it to be as big as NASCAR, motorcycle racing, or drag racing. We can relate directly with these - where F1 has a less deep cultural connection.

Mark _

September 25, 2013 5:54 PM

It all depends on how you define succeed. The races have always had very high attendance numbers. It is not reasonable to expect it to be more popular than the top N. American race series. Plus part of the attraction of F1 here is that the F1 fans are more sophisticated than the typical red-neck crowd at the oval tracks.

Marksman

September 25, 2013 6:47 PM

Mark, if you're going to call us rednecks at least get it right. It's not hyphenated. We're unsophisticated so we don't use such highfalutin punctuation. I do have to admit the atmosphere at an F1 or even American Le Mans Series event is SO much more pleasant. I love F1 racing to the core and I have high hopes for its popularity here. So yee-haw I guess...

Mark _

September 25, 2013 6:54 PM

Thanks for setting me straight Marksman. I too like ALMS. I wish that they still raced at my home track Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point). It was great seeing those Ferrari 333s racing there back in the day.

Marksman

September 25, 2013 9:26 PM

Lol! No problem Mark. There are a lot of tracks I'd like to see the ALMS at, Sonoma being one of the main ones. I don't understand why they aren't racing there. No arguing about those Ferraris... What a treat! At least I don't believe we are in danger of losing the Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta (my home) because the crowd there is massive every year. And who can forget that Porsche back flip Yannick Dalmas pulled off back in '98 I think? I was standing on the fence on that long back straightaway taking photos and remember looking up thinking, "That's the craziest thing I have EVER seen!" 2013 PLM is just around the corner. Come on down to Georgia and we'll show you some good old southern hospitality. Seriously... It's a good time and it doesn't attract the obnoxious NASCAR yokels.

Mark _

September 25, 2013 9:40 PM

@Marksman - Road Atlanta is a top track. The PLM may be a good excuse to visit some friends in Chattanooga. I think that Sonoma lost ALMS because it is so close to Laguna Seca along with it being owned by Speedway Motorsports / Bruton Smith.

1 2 3  »