F1 » 'Disciplined' Vettel keeps marching forward in Korea

Not even two safety cars or an errant fire marshall's vehicle unexpectedly coming out on a live racetrack could get in the way of Sebastian Vettel's latest march to victory in Korea.

rou

October 06, 2013 9:17 AM

@crash

I do believe Ricciardo was on his supersofts behind the safety car, Unfortunate for him since he was keeping Massa at bay and was set for 9th. Weight/Height should not be a factor in deciding a drive because Hulk is one of the most talented young drivers out there and if he is being restricted because of a weight limit that is ridiculous.

BJR

October 06, 2013 9:40 AM

I wouldn't say "errant" fire marshal vehicle.

White flags were on display so the drivers would have known an emergency services vehicle was on the circuit.

I'm sure any spectators downwind from the toxic plume of burning fluids and plastics spewing from the Red Bull were in more danger than any driver on track.

kneedragon1962

October 06, 2013 9:46 AM

Poor old Mark. Barry Sheene used to trot out a line sometimes that 'if he had a duck, It'd drown.' That was many years ago, but it describes Webber pretty well. To be successful in 24h endurance racing, you need to be good and quick and professional, which should be not too great a problem, but you also need to be a little bit lucky. I seem to remember that he wasn't all that lucky last time he was in sportscars...

Autonomous

October 06, 2013 9:58 AM

Well done Vettel and Redbull, you've managed to remind me how dull as dishwater F1 can be. Some of the most boring racing (pah, if you can call follow my leader, racing). I'll not waste my time any longer, I'll watch proper motorsport like bikes and rally. Almost as boring as when schumacher was driving. Yawn!!!!!

Webbertron

October 06, 2013 10:21 AM

@Rou

I agree, and hope all fans are on the same page when it comes to driver weight and height. I think what Button said this week is correct, they should do something about the weight limits. A grown man shouldn't weigh 64KG, it's just not right to deny somebody a racing seat because they are to tall.

pizzaboy

October 06, 2013 10:39 AM

That height and weight stuff is just non-sense...and then didn't they consider a Japanese driver...name start with 'K' so the google instant search could help you out..
Great drive by Hulk...remember he drove just as brilliantly last year with FI.
It appears like Ferrari, Mercs have moved most of their attention on 2014 (they have too work on the engine formula too and ensure their car pulls best advantage out of it over their engine customers). Drivers drove okay but performance and that loose nosecone wasn't a great show.
Force India is likely to see 2 new drivers next year...depends of course upon who fills in the Kimi's current seat

Webbertron

October 06, 2013 10:50 AM

I trust you have read the crash article Taipan? I mean, it is hard to explain but I guess you do have a point. For example a Rugby player missing out for been to small. But with other sports there is more opportunity for people to still compete. There is only 1 Formula 1, and the competition is fierce now to the point where people have to pay for their seats (which is partly the fault of the sports directors for making it really expensive). I guess what I'm trying to say it, having a lighter driver gives an F1 team more of an advantage over their car design, compared to a small Rugby player who is just using his own body.

So if you have a light driver, you can put weight in other places in the car, thus making the car faster. However with a heavier, taller driver the teams don't have as much choice in how to design the car, so the car is at a disadvantage. So it becomes about the car rather than about the driver. Also just so you know I didn't dislike your comment.

1 2 3 4  »